Best 20 Elk Long guns

So do tell what has changed over the years?

What happend to Weatherby? I thought the Mark V was on par with the Sako 85?

I'm in the market for a new rifle that has a safety that won't move going thru thick brush like the mod 70 so I'm all ears......

MJB said:
So do tell what has changed over the years?

What happend to Weatherby? I thought the Mark V was on par with the Sako 85?

I'm in the market for a new rifle that has a safety that won't move going thru thick brush like the mod 70 so I'm all ears......

I have been a Weatherby fan for many years. As a kid all I wanted was a Browning Auto 5 and a .257 Weatherby.

As you know Weatherby was an iconic rifle maker for many years. Predominantly known for his cartridges but also for his well made rifles (basically "custom" factory rifles) and certainly ahead of their time. The rifles were built on many different actions, and over the years built in many different factories. Roy was also the first to make a civilian action that could withstand 100,000 psi. He was all about velocity. Roy Weatherby, Bob Nosler and P.O. Ackley are the heroes of the modern rifle. They did for us what Henry Ford for did for the automotive industry (and manufacturing industry).

Roy Weatherby started the business in Paso Robles in 1946. The original guns were built on FN Mausers (and are now highly collectable). These were the "South Gate" guns and have the barrel stamping of South Gate. Sometime in the mid 1950's Sako was actually contracted to produce their rifles while the custom guns were still being made in "South Gate". When we get a South Gate Weatherby in the store, they last literally a day or two if they even make it to the sales floor (usually a phone call and poof their gone)

Over the years they have had Schultz and Larson and J.P. Sauer help with manufacturing and in some cases design change. Pacific Founders, Inc also did some manufacturing in the US for Roy and his head engineer Fred Jennie (who should be noted regarding innovative gun and cartridge deign and development - the unsung hero behind the scenes). And just like a lot of U.S. manufacturers they were looking to cut costs for the American consumers so they started having Howa out of Japan build there guns. This did not go well for Weatherby. Similar cost reductions were tried by Winchester (total failure going to the push feed mod 70) and now you are seeing Remington implode as well (more financial issues which are effecting manufacturing processes).

Roy Weatherby died in 1988 but his son Ed took over as acting CEO in 1983. He took the helm and has brought most of the production back to Paso Robles. I have spoken with him several times over the past two years and believe he is dedicated to getting the company back on track. With that said, they still have several products made in Turkey and that certainly is not what Weatherby stands for. And cost reductions continue to hamper their ability to compete with certain rifle makers. Manufacturing schedules and production targets are something they need to work on as well. This all effects quality, something Weatherby has been trying to gain back regarding their once legendary reputation

They make a nice rifle, and a few really nice rifles but again, Weatherby has a long road ahead of them both from a manufacturing standpoint and a financial standpoint. To even be considered as good as a Sako model 85 is a bit of a stretch. Also consider the model 85 as the lightest control round feed made. And it comes with an amazing double stack all stainless welded flush magazine. It has a short bolt throw, a two position safety that does everything the 3 position safety does on the Win mod 70. And it's trigger is possibly the best, most adjustable crisp match trigger offered on a factory hunting rifle. I could go on and on but I will spare you the agony.

If you have time Mark, come on down and take a look at the 85's at Fine Firearms. They are arguably the finest production rifle on earth. And if you ask some of my long time hunting partners (Snake Charmer etc) they will tell you I was a die hard Winchester Mod 70 fan. I have owned a bunch. I do not have any now!

I will say that when Weatherby went from 9 locking lugs down to two locking lugs in the Mark V, he produced one of the strongest actions ever mass produced. Theres one for Weatherby!

Hope this helps...

NBK said:
MJB said:
NBK said:
7mm Rem Mag is certainly a front runner regarding elk cartridges (and may be the very best). I also like the .300 WSM. But most any cartridge you shoot well will do the job within reasonable distances and with good shot placement. I think most folks get wrapped around the axle on this debate (and find most of the opinions come from folks with little or no elk hunting experience).

My top factory rifle picks would be (in order)

Sako 85 Stainless
Sako A7 Roughtech Pro
Tikka T3 Stainless
Model 700 Remington Stainless/Winchester Model 70 Stainless/Browning A-Bolt

What about Weatherby? I always felt they are on par with Sako....

Above is just my opinion and with that said, the new Weatherby's are not in the same league as the Sako's. Actually not much are. But again just an opinion from being in the industry.

The model 70 Winchesters are great rifles but they are based on a 100 year old design. They are built like a 1960's car. Not a bad thing but technology has surpassed it along time ago.

good write up John.

But I guess I am old school.

John,

You may have seen this old book......Great read.....My dad recently gave it to me.....History on the Weatherby in South Gate (I was raised near by) and the men that shot them (lots of rich folks.... ;))

ps....It wouldn't copy in one setting..... ???

Attachments

• IMG_20160126_0001.jpg
    IMG_20160126_0001.jpg
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20160126_0002.jpg
    IMG_20160126_0002.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
My Weatherby has taken many deer.. I've drug it up and down some rough country... Great rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJB said:
So what makes Sako so good?

The model 85 is the lightest control round feed made. And it comes with an amazing double stack all stainless welded flush magazine. It has a short bolt throw, a two position safety that does everything the 3 position safety does on the Win mod 70. And it's trigger is possibly the best, most adjustable crisp match trigger offered on a factory hunting rifle out of the box

1 piece 3 lug controlled round feed bolt system
Guaranteed 5 shot MOA
Smoothest bolt throw and lockup in the industry
The wood classic model 85 has arguably the finest wood available on a factory rifle
McMillan claims the Sako synthetic stock is the best factory stock made (it is on the McMillan site)
Intergal milled base rail knurled and tapered (this creates an unbelievable scope base security that virtually can't change or move under recoil)
11 degree target crown

This list goes on and on. Mark come by the shop and play with one. I have owned 5 different Sakos and all have shot 1/2" groups or better.

Thanks for the heads up.....I'll be by sometime gotta close a few deals before I fall in love and spend money......

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu