Best deer processor?

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
I’m not planning to process my own deer (I’m not that great at precision filtering and I don’t have the grinder, etc. plus I want it to turn out great so that my wife doesn’t cut down my hunting time). So I wanted to ask if there are processors you all recommend?
I drive by Bishers in Ramona so I could go there. I know their meats are great but I haven’t heard much about their processing.
I have heard good things about T&H Prime Meats in San Marcos (lots of unique sausage types) and that is where I’m planning to go this year if I’m lucky and get a deer. But I’d certainly like to hear about other recommendations. I’ve looked at some old posts on this subject but since it seems the best processors change every few years, I wanted to ask the question again.
Good luck to us all starting Saturday!

I use Specialty Meats in Escondido on El Norte.....Bob is a great guy and you can drop off your deer/game at any time (including Sundays).....Great sausage and cuts at a reasonable price.

Reactions: JakeSCH and NBK
Dan,
If you want to save money, bone all the meat yourself and label it generally where it’s from (hindquarters, shoulder, etc). They charge you an arm and a leg to bone it out, and it’s not that hard to do yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it yourself. You're not guaranteed your own venison back. They tend not to be too specific about whose deer parts get to who in general. I grew up hanging around a garage butcher operation and it's not one for one. Not speaking to each and every operation but in general.

Not recommending Bishers. To many stories. GREAT BEEF Just not processing my deer. I have a guy in Ramona that will do what ever you want.$100. Great guy , been very happy with the process, plus 10 minutes from my house.

Agree to do it yourself... I know you said you didn't want to, but it's soo easy and IMO part of the whole event.

I did an out of state antelope earlier in the month and due to distance and time constraints I decided to process with a well reviewed local business and I was utterly disappointed in what I got back. I gave them a fully quartered 1.5-2 year old buck antelope and the full yield was ~19 lbs of boned out meat with little to no labels.

Agree to do it yourself... I know you said you didn't want to, but it's soo easy and IMO part of the whole event.

I did an out of state antelope earlier in the month and due to distance and time constraints I decided to process with a well reviewed local business and I was utterly disappointed in what I got back. I gave them a fully quartered 1.5-2 year old buck antelope and the full yield was ~19 lbs of boned out meat with little to no labels.

No sausage, jerky or ground meat? That’s the only real value a processor could offer. What did you ask them for?

No sausage, jerky or ground meat? That’s the only real value a processor could offer. What did you ask them for?

Trim was ground, everything else was in roasts (prefer large muscle groups, no steaks). Asked for shanks to be cut into osso bucco which was nowhere to be found.

Reactions: Bonejour
Had a domestic pig done at T&H pretty good for decent prices for sausages.... But really would prefer to to it myself.. I have done 4 deer myself, and the last 2 - I purchased a old meat grinder and ground some of the meat....

With the ground venison mix it with jimmy deans sausage and you now have poorboy Venison breakfast sausage...

rest of the meats are steaks and roasts...

Wish I saw this earlier I would be willing to help you with it.

Well I guess I am even more glad that I have a great local butcher. He took in 350 antelope on opening weekend alone.

I got my antelope back last weekend. So he was just under 2 weeks turn around. Based on the amount I got back I can tell you I also got my full antelope back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: socalcowboy
I use Specialty Meats in Escondido on El Norte.....Bob is a great guy and you can drop off your deer/game at any time (including Sundays).....Great sausage and cuts at a reasonable price.
I'd also recommend Specialty Meats. They do a great job. Most local places are all charge the same prices but Bob includes vacuum sealing which is a big additional charge everywhere else. A lot better than the freezer paper if some of the cuts are going to be in your freezer awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: socalcowboy

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu