Big buck contest????

Wouldn't be against everyone who enters pitching in $20 and using that for the grand prize. Don't know what the legality is behind that though.

Everyone might take it a little more serious if it cost $20. Maybe even do something like the money has to be spent at FFA or bow and arrow shop. Like a gift card or something that way you can pick what you need to improve your hunting. I'm sure the two shops would offer merchandise at cost to the winner. That way it doesn't cost them anything and they would get all the advertising.

At cost?

Can't stay in business that way just the order alone from the manufacture cost you money

to my understanding they normally give the gun/bow away or work a great deal for the tournament since they are the only two shops represented on this site. A lot of us give them the majority of our business so a small loss to be the only shops represented on a tournament will far outweigh itself in the publicity alone. I own multiple businesses it takes money to make money and a small loss like that is trivial in the grand scheme of things. Even if it isn't at cost I am sure those shops could work some kind of a deal with SCH. They have a ton of loyal hunters on this site. I think I bought 5 guns at FFA last year mostly because of this site and wanting to be loyal not to mention I enjoy the guys down at the shop and they always take care of me. I also buy the majority of my ammo down there. The same goes for the Bow and Arrow shop I use them rather than going online to buy things also a great group of guys always a fun time down there.
Deer season is a few weeks away we have to have a tournament. I know last year went sour but I think scratching the tourney would be dumb. I am just proposing some solutions rather than just complaining or doing nothing. Lets look for a solution. Obviously since the tourney hasn't been announced it probably isn't happening.

I'm not sure why last years big buck contest went sour, but I would be willing to throw 20 bucks into a contest .

Reactions: stikbrandon
I'm not sure why last years big buck contest went sour, but I would be willing to throw 20 bucks into a contest .

It didn't go "sour", we had a bow winner (Buck Hunter) and he picked out his bow from "The Bow N Arrow" shop. Unfortunately the rifle category was unable to be claimed due to lack of following the rules. We have the sponsors in place, but without the commitment from the forum members, it just isn't worth the time and money spent to manage it.

It's the same thing with the SCH Banquet. We get 150+ people to the event every year but it's like herding cats the last week before the event. We are left with the feeling that folks just don't understand or have an appreciation for what it takes to manage this site and the events and sponsors.

Maybe next year we will resurrect the buck tournament and the banquet but right now we just don't have the resources to spare.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu