Big cats

I’m sure there’s some flexibility in how/when they enforce it.

Yep, just a couple years back you could get a depredation permit pretty easily (private prop)....Now, it's like an act of God....New decision maker.... ;)

ps....Found this yesterday...Followed the drag marks, blood, bile, and fur...At first, I thought it was a lion, but after further review...It was a poached deer on MCC...All 4 legs gone, head, and hide gone...I also noticed the ribs were partially gone on one side...Looked inside and the spine was shattered....... :mad:

IMG_3156.JPGIMG_3157.JPG

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
Yep, just a couple years back you could a depredation permit pretty easily (private prop)....Now, it's like an act of God....New decision maker.... ;)

ps....Found this yesterday...Followed the drag marks, blood, bile, and fur...At first, I thought it was a lion, but after further review...It was a poached deer on MCC...All 4 legs gone, head, and hide gone...I also noticed the ribs were partially gone on one side...Looked inside and the spine was shattered....... :mad:

View attachment 60324View attachment 60326
I'm sure the game warden would be interested in knowing about that.

I’m sure there’s some flexibility in how/when they enforce it.
Of course. All law enforcement officers have the ability to use their judgement/consider circumstances when enforcing laws. But DFG is not the issue in California. The problem is we have had a ban on lion hunting for 50 years in this state, put in place by law makers… blame them. @BOWUNTR is also correct in pointing out that lions really aren’t to blame for shit deer populations. It’s 40 million people and lazy wildlife management. Lion numbers are directly influenced by deer numbers. Lots of deer equals lots of lions. Fewer deer equals fewer lions. A lot of people don’t know this but most lion hunting is catch and release. Those guys let clients who want to shoot Toms, but females generally get cut loose, and if the client doesn’t like the size of the cat it gets cut loose even if it is a Tom.

I would love to be able to have a lion tag in my pocket. I would have had three opportunities in 2019 and I’ve seen two others in previous years. I think the existing laws are total bullshit. All I’m saying is hold the right people responsible.

Photos taken at about 200 yards through the 15x56 SLC’s.
IMG_8102.jpegIMG_8096.jpegIMG_8115.jpeg

The fact that i cant go out of state and hunt one and bring it back bothers me more than not being able to hunt them here. I think in Nevada it even says next to the lion tag on the website “Not available to California Residents”

• Wow
Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
The fact that i cant go out of state and hunt one and bring it back bothers me more than not being able to hunt them here. I think in Nevada it even says next to the lion tag on the website “Not available to California Residents”
100%. That really underlines the ridiculousness and intent of the law here. They just don’t like it.

I hadn’t known about that. When did that change?

Ahh..the Catamount...and CA...what a shame..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu