Big Jake Gets a Pass

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Hunted with Tanner yesterday and we had a nice gobblefest in the morning.....One bird in particular gobbled hard and often.....Thought for sure he was a long, but as it turned out.....He was just a big jake by his lonesome.....Smart guy too.....Never really committed to the calling or DSD decoy.....He lives another day.....Couple videos of the guy.

Nice videos, Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We passed on a group of five on Saturday but it was cool to have them come in like they were on a string. Wish they were toms I would have had my turkey!!

Matt,

Bagging your 1st turkey as a jake is how most of us started.....No shame in that or unethical behavior.....Them jakes eat good and your memory will be exactly the same as if he was a monster tom.

1996 with my 1st.....Little guy and I was proud as punch.....lol

.1st turkey 1996.jpg

Matt,

Bagging your 1st turkey as a jake is how most of us started.....No shame in that or unethical behavior.....Them jakes eat good and your memory will be exactly the same as if he was a monster tom.

.View attachment 34889
I still get a chuckle out of that pic....

Hey Sprig why don't you write a book about SoCal Turkey hunting. Just your threads and feedback on this site would make a hell of a SoCal Turkey hunter. Just saying....

Matt,

.View attachment 34889

ya my buddy was giving me hard time on not taking the shot and I probably should have. Oh well got a few hunts left

Hunted with Tanner yesterday and we had a nice gobblefest in the morning.....One bird in particular gobbled hard and often.....Thought for sure he was a long, but as it turned out.....He was just a big jake by his lonesome.....Smart guy too.....Never really committed to the calling or DSD decoy.....He lives another day.....Couple videos of the guy.

He’ll probably end up being a good sized Tom in a year or two. Great video

Hey Sprig why don't you write a book about SoCal Turkey hunting. Just your threads and feedback on this site would make a hell of a SoCal Turkey hunter. Just saying....

John,

Lots of good books out there on turkey hunting.....Way more fun just sharing my experiences here on SCH.

Matt,

3 week-ends left.....Toms are really roaming now.....So your chances are quite good, you'll get another whack at them.....Good luck.

John,

Lots of good books out there on turkey hunting.....Way more fun just sharing my experiences here on SCH.

Matt,

3 week-ends left.....Toms are really roaming now.....So your chances are quite good, you'll get another whack at them.....Good luck.

Thanks Steve!!

Reactions: DoubleTrouble

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu