Bill introduced to legalize take of roadkill

The two states I hunt in back in the Midwest have had similar laws on their books for years. One of my friends, who has since passed, was the go to guy for the Fort Wayne area fish and game to collect road kill which were left on the side of the road. Depending on the condition of the carcass , he would either keep it or take it and dispose of it. Some of the meat he would give to homeless shelters.

Mike worked at the GM assembly plant in Ft. Wayne with my nephew. The two of them own property on one of the many small lakes in the area, I believe it is actually in Columbia City IN. not far from Ft. Wayne. Those little lakes in the area are great places to catch loads of Crappie and other pan fish. Mike was always the organizer of the wild game feed they had twice a year. Some of they meat for the feed was from road kill.

John,

Here in San Diego....You just have to be off the road and not shoot over it....Imperial Co, you must be 50 yds from a county maintained road (named)….Hard to keep track of county ordinances.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Steve, I think those laws you mentioned are consistent throughout the country., aside from being common sense.

I hope it passes. Sustainability is becoming a common thing and this fits right into it.

They can do like CO does. We just have to report it within 48 hours. They will give you a damage tag.

We can pick up unsalvageable animals as well for the antlers... just call the warden so he is aware.

I hope it passes. Sustainability is becoming a common thing and this fits right into it.

They can do like CO does. We just have to report it within 48 hours. They will give you a damage tag.

We can pick up unsalvageable animals as well for the antlers... just call the warden so he is aware.

Pretty much the same as Montana.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I can’t see this law passing the full legislature, despite its merits. Our politicians are too squeamish about everything and trusting people to do the right thing with a wounded animal goes against their generally liberty hating mentality. They’re more likely to pass a law requiring us to take wounded road casualties to an animal rehab center. I hope I’m wrong. There was fresh venison on Ortega Hwy the other day.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Nobody is concerned at the possibility of this being abused by a select few scumbags? I hope they write this in a manner that takes this into consideration and minimizes the ease this could be used as a cover for poaching.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu