Bird Down

invisible man

Walk The Line
Oct 7, 2011
About 20 feet up
Called this guy in this morning with my Hooks Assassin Glass. Grim Reaper put him down at 35yrd. Today I heard the most gobbling I have ever heard from one spot. He is a decent two year old, 18.4lbs, 5.5 inch beard, and tiny spurs. But this late in the season I couldn't pass on him. Pics are kinda weak. He was soaked by the time the jakes got done stomping on him. I dried him off as good as I could but they thrashed him.

Attachments

• archery turkey 2013 005.jpg
    archery turkey 2013 005.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • archery turkey 2013 023.jpg
    archery turkey 2013 023.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
  • archery turkey 2013 024.jpg
    archery turkey 2013 024.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
Thanks guys. Its been pretty tough this season so far at my spot. A lot of the hens are finding good nesting habitat real close to the roost so they are not going too far away after breeding, and the toms are able to stay close to them all day. I hope incubation starts before season end.

It's like the clock rolled back four weeks, the birds were gobbling all day (saw group of five jake's today that would shock gobble at the slightest noise) and heard a bunch on the roost tree this evening making noise. Maybe the cool weather and rain rebooted them.

Very cool I wish we had birds close to oc

Snake Charmer said:
It's like the clock rolled back four weeks, the birds were gobbling all day (saw group of five jake's today that would shock gobble at the slightest noise) and heard a bunch on the roost tree this evening making noise. Maybe the cool weather and rain rebooted them.
I'm not asking for where it was but was it on public or private

he almost was a Jake Johnny. He has a full fan but no spurs.He has been running around with the big toms all season. He came in with 2 big boys and as I drew my bow the big boys spooked and moved off behind a couple hens and at the same time 6 Jakes came stumbling in and he turned and started trying to run them off. The 2 big boys moved out to about 60 or 70yrds, but this guy was busy and didn't notice me. When he walked between my 30 and 40 mark I put my 30 pin on his head and squeezed off the shot. Drilled him in the neck and as soon as he went down the Jakes jumped on him and thrashed him. He was in pretty good shape until then. They tore a lot of feathers off his back and rolled him around in the wet grass. I washed the fan good and blow dried it and it looks OK.Ill put a pic up of the fan after cleaning and drying.

Aeon said:
Very cool I wish we had birds close to oc

I know. Turkey would be a cool hunt to keep busy in the spring, but I'm not driving 2 hours for one.

Congrats on a nice bird with the bow!

Hey Douger, yer a turkey killing machine, congrats! Try taking a coyote with a bow from the ground next.

Right on Tim. I killed a yote with my bow 2 seasons ago. It ran up the hill strait at me trying to cut off a couple of yearling deer, I seen him coming and got to full draw and stopped him 15yrd away and put a Grim Reaper through his rib cage. Watched him tumble through some dead branches run down the hill and dropped about 70yrd away. It happened too fast to enjoy. I threw it over the fence into the bushes where I took you Darryl and Dean that day. (Good to hear from you)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu