Birds on ice?

Shooter7

Aug 8, 2016
Orange County
Thought I'd get some opinions on how long after a bird has been put in your game bag before you put them on ice? Does it need to be instant? Would times differ between game birds? Here's a step by step on how I currently operate:

1) Shoot bird
2) Put bird in game bag
3) Continue hiking
4) Put bird in ice cooler when back at truck

How long can step 3 be is basically what I'm askin'. Can dove/quail/chukar/pheasant be in a game bag for 2-3 hours before putting them on ice? Or maybe shorter amounts of time before the meat begins to spoil?

Thanks in advance guys!

The short answer is yes, we have all shot birds on a hot day and had many hours between kill and cleaning. If it's hot I try not to let birds sit all day.

I normally clean the birds the following day.......How hot it is does make a difference......Your ground birds (quail, chukar, turkey, pheasant), can stink quickly......Getting them on ice quicker is more important than ducks, doves, etc. IMO.

Your number 3 doesn't really matter in my opinion. Unless you are walking for a week straight.

Getting back to your truck and keeping them somewhere shady is good, but not necessary.

Small game doesn't quite heat up to the extent that big game does.

Rigormortis is generally starting to set in by the time I clean my birds late at night lol. Rarely do I put them in a cooler and I haven't died yet.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu