BLM closed to shooting?

Ocurtis

Drove an hour and a half to BLM to see this
125f4cb599dc0e6550491833c7bf2ad8.jpg

Felt bad for my
Bro in law who drove 1.5 hours to my
House to drive then another 1.5 out, so I let him drive my 4Runner on an easy off roading trail... 15 feet of room and nearly slid side ways into this ravine!
1ec23e3f3dd003269da5347ec969fe5a.jpg

I managed to get us out.

Anyone know about these closures? Are they temporary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drove an hour and a half to BLM to see this
125f4cb599dc0e6550491833c7bf2ad8.jpg

Felt bad for my
Bro in law who drove 1.5 hours to my
House to drive then another 1.5 out, so I let him drive my 4Runner on an easy off roading trail... 15 feet of room and nearly slid side ways into this ravine!
1ec23e3f3dd003269da5347ec969fe5a.jpg

I managed to get us out.

Anyone know about these closures? Are they temporary?

Hi Ocurtis
This happened before.
Notice the sign says No Shooting.
It doesn't say no hunting allowed.
Stage 3 fire clouser prohibits target practice. But not hunting.
I contacted BLM with an Email.
Their response was it is ok to hunt.
Disclaimer:
But for everyone's sanity's
Verify this your selfs .
Contact the BLM. and read the regs

https://www.blm.gov/basic/visit-california-hunting-shooting-restrictions-county-or-other-locality
Best
Longbow

Hi Ocurtis
This happened before.
Notice the sign says No Shooting.
It doesn't say no hunting allowed.
Stage 3 fire clouser prohibits target practice. But not hunting.
I contacted BLM with an Email.
Their response was it is ok to hunt.
Disclaimer:
But for everyone's sanity's
Verify this your selfs .
Contact the BLM. and read the regs

https://www.blm.gov/basic/visit-california-hunting-shooting-restrictions-county-or-other-locality
Best
Longbow

I know hunting is ok, but my question is if it’s permanently closed to just shooting

I know hunting is ok, but my question is if it’s permanently closed to just shooting

Hi Ocurtis
It's hard to predict what the BLM does any more. But generally it's lifted after the rains.
My disclaimer is for who ever also reads this post.
I get foggy some times. Of my previous discussion with any agency.

But I have had an issue last target practicing on BLM.
Maybe it was them just having fun.
Who knows.
Best
Longbow

If one were cynical one might think some in the government don’t want us hunting on public land. The CNF sign in my area has a bunch of diagrams with cross lines through them. Motorcycles, jeeps, campfires etc. One is a guy shooting a gun. If you read the fine print way down below and barely legible, you’ll see “except in the lawful pursuit of game...”. In other words, hunting is perfectly legal. I’ve always wondered how many hunters see that sign and just turn around and leave, thinking they can’t hunt.

BLM has shut down all target shooting in the county. It was funny that in April of this year they had it open for approximately 3 weeks then shut it down again. Since the fires in 2016 and 2017 and especially the fires down in Descanso where the people were shooting and caught the brush on fire then ran to there cars and drove off didn't help matters. I don't see any future openings to shooting on BLM for many years. Between lack of rain and people trashing the sites. When it was open the spot I went to I would bring at least 5 bags of trash out of the area. You now have to go to public shooting ranges to shoot anymore. This really sucks....

If BLM and CNF were my property (and in essence it is)….I wouldn't let anyone "target shoot" on it....Does anyone remember Orosco Ridge and the amount of trash that was taken out of there because they allowed "Target shooting".....Any wonder why it's closed now and forever?

If BLM and CNF were my property (and in essence it is)….I wouldn't let anyone "target shoot" on it....Does anyone remember Orosco Ridge and the amount of trash that was taken out of there because they allowed "Target shooting".....Any wonder wh
y it's closed now and forever?
Hi Steve
I totally get it. Same as I believe the horse thief trail head. Broken glass
Every where.
Problem is it's hard to find a gun range over 300 yards for practice.
I know they are there from previous
Post. Just a bummer a few ruin it.

Hi Steve
I totally get it. Same as I believe the horse thief trail head. Broken glass
Every where.
Problem is it's hard to find a gun range over 300 yards for practice.
I know they are there from previous
Post. Just a bummer a few ruin it.

My thoughts exactly. I have a 300 yard zero on my 06, and my drop chart reaches me to 600. I need space to stretch this out sometimes. Unfortunately we live in the land of idiots. Take care of what’s yours and it last forever.

They still let you shoot in the desert I have a few spots that you can shoot as far as you want. Exit first exit at the bottom of the grade off the 8 and you will be able to figure it out from there with ONX.
Moral of the story don’t be a jerk and leave your stuff everywhere. Sportsman should be the biggest environmentalist around. By the way I don’t mean environmental but jobs either. I go out of my way to pick up trash every time I am out. Leave the wild better than you found it!

They still let you shoot in the desert I have a few spots that you can shoot as far as you want. Exit first exit at the bottom of the grade off the 8 and you will be able to figure it out from there with ONX.
Moral of the story don’t be a jerk and leave your stuff everywhere. Sportsman should be the biggest environmentalist around. By the way I don’t mean environmental but jobs either. I go out of my way to pick up trash every time I am out. Leave the wild better than you found it!
Hi Truduct
Good point.
If people look at the link I provided.
There is a map of the fire clouser.
It appeared to me as all of San Diego and some portions of LA and Riverside were stage 3, most of not all of Imperial Valley was stage 2.
So Target practice in IV should be permitted.
So yes it should allow target practice.
How ever there are normal everyday restrictions. Such as no Full Metal Jacket ammo. All must read the regs carefully. Don't get fined.
Also there was a group of sheriff's
Practicing with M4 rifles
They got nailed by the feds.
For having 30 round mags.
So stay on your toes every one.
As of late I stay on my own property
Or when invited by other private
Property owners.
Be carful and safe out there.
Longbow

Agree with all said. The target shooting public has ruined many spots. The only place I ever go for target shooting is Hodge Road off the 15 near Barstow. The BLM seems to have decided that place is beyond help, so might as well just let it be the regional target shooting/dump site that it has become.

Back