Boar down! First big game animal and on cloud nine with Neil from GSGS

SD Mike

Proud member of BH&A, RMEF and NWTF.
Feb 25, 2015
San Diego
Having looked forward to this hunt for months now, I was in good spirits driving from San Diego Friday morning, through the hell-hole that is Los Angeles traffic, and up to see Neil just outside of Sequoia National Forest. He was able to put me up in a trailer with all the comforts I needed, including a pond (which I am told is holding) and plenty of peace and quiet. We went out with a buddy of his Friday evening to see what there was to see. Amidst tons of orange and avocado trees, there was plenty of sign, but we couldn't get a pig to come down out of the hills before dark.

Fast forward through an evening of campfire, a "few" cold ones, and great sleep, we were up before light and at it again, this time at a different spot. Endless rolling hills and oak trees as far as you can see made the hunt enjoyable even before we saw the pig dart across the road, uphill, and immediately out of sight. Neil and I immediately run up the opposite hill, hoping to get a bead on him. He was spotted huffing it uphill through the oak trees and was maybe 50 yards from cresting the ridge and going out of sight again. I sat on my ass, elbows on knees, and prepared for an offhand shot. I found him in the crosshairs of my -06, waited for an opening in the trees while giving him a bit of a lead, and squeezed the trigger. BOOM! Neil said he was hit good. I tried to reposition for a second shot, but by that time he was already up and over the crest of the hill.

We go uphill to where we last saw him last and, lo and behold, the guy didn't even go 50 yards before he dropped. A NICE boar! I couldn't speak I was so happy to be in that particular spot, in that particular place and time. I'm not a religious person at all, but that moment is about as close as I can get to a spiritual experience.

We couldn't find an entrance wound, but after skinning him we found that I had shot him through the back leg and into his heart. Not a shot I ever want to repeat, but one that did the job nonetheless. I just think it was crazy because I didn't see any of his guts ruptured. All in all, I learned A TON that will help me with all my future hunts, and I can't wait until round 2 with Neil. Thanks to all of you for your wealth of information and motivation to continue becoming a better hunter and representative of the hunting community. CHEERS!

Attachments

• IMG_2483.jpg
    IMG_2483.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1004.jpg
    IMG_1004.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20151121_083630.jpg
    20151121_083630.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: Goyaałé
Congrats Mike.........Hell of a nice way to get your 1st big game animal......... 8)

Great talking to you today.............. ;D

PyroTekRob said:
Nice hog! I might need to look up GSGS.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Do it. You won't be sorry. Neil works very hard to get his clients on game. Young guy, making a go of it as a professional hunting guide in California, of all places. He has access to a huge amount of private land with lost of game, and he's always out with his dogs keeping track of where the animals are. Very fair with his fees, too.

Bonejour said:
PyroTekRob said:
Nice hog! I might need to look up GSGS.

Do it. You won't be sorry. Neil works very hard to get his clients on game. Young guy, making a go of it as a professional hunting guide in California, of all places. He has access to a huge amount of private land with lost of game, and he's always out with his dogs keeping track of where the animals are. Very fair with his fees, too.
I'll look into it next year. My work doesn't allow me the time to get out to public land and scout. It been a long time since I've got to hunt.

congrats I still haven't killed a pig yet I should get on that! :'( had some chances to but always got the short end of the stick on that but that's another story .

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu