Bow sight decisions, any input?

DEW_0341

Apr 19, 2015
SO I have narrowed down my new sight choice between the
-Black Gold Ascent 3 or 5 pin with the 6" dovetail possibly from their custom shop online.
-Spott Hogg Tommy Hogg 3 or 5 pin sight.

wondering if anyone has any unbiased opinions on these two sights or companies.

Ghost said:
Go with 5 pin
A particular reason why a 5 over the 3? I haven't owned a bow in over 5 years and used to have a 3 pin on my old Hoyt Magnatech, I have nothing against a 5 pin set up I would just be curious as to why? is there any particular advantage of having the extra 2 pins on an adjustable sight?

Lungpopper said:
I have the Black Gold Ascent 5 pin. So that would make me biased in my opinion. Love the sight.
I have been mostly looking at the Black Gold Ascent from their custom shop. so many decisions!!! I'm just getting back to shooting archery and bow hunting next year so I'm like a kid in a candy store right now

Let me preface this opinion with the fact that I got into bow hunting later in life.....With that said, the boys bought me a new 5 pin site Cobra Smoke.....I only use the 1st 3 sites and actually have never killed a deer with anything longer than my 2nd site (30 + yds).....Now the kids have killed turkeys and deer with their 5th site (50 yds).....They practice at that longer range, where I don't.....If you plan on shooting farther like them, I would go with the 5 pin.

I don't know if the brand is as important as the capabilities and limitations of the shooter......2 cents

ilovesprig said:
Let me preface this opinion with the fact that I got into bow hunting later in life.....With that said, the boys bought me a new 5 pin site Cobra Smoke.....I only use the 1st 3 sites and actually have never killed a deer with anything longer than my 2nd site (30 + yds).....Now the kids have killed turkeys and deer with their 5th site (50 yds).....They practice at that longer range, where I don't.....If you plan on shooting farther like them, I would go with the 5 pin.

I don't know if the brand is as important as the capabilities and limitations of the shooter......2 cents

I have chosen these two brands solely because of what I have found as far as customer service, product quality/ longevity, warranty etc. I used to have a tru glo on my old bow about 10 years ago and I busted a pin on it after 1 year of just normal use. that's why ive become a little more selective.

Black gold ascent hands down i love mine and it gives u pins out to 140 yards wich is awsome for building confidence.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu