Buck down!!!

Gallodeoro

Oct 11, 2013
Been reading the posts for quite some time now and I finally have some good news to post. Bagged a forky yesterday! My hunting buddy and I were just about to head to a different spot when he suggested we checked one more ridge. The sun was to our backs and I was glassing the mountain side for any signs. I saw some nice green foliage down in a valley and next to it a white flash of color. There was a doe standing perfectly still staring in the opposite direction to us. I looked at the same sight picture for several more minutes and saw another doe to her left. They looked frozen and were not moving. This made it very hard for me to see them and re acquire them in my binos. Did some more glassing and saw another doe to her right. I was thinking there had to be a buck somewhere in this group! My buddy had missed a shot on one the day before and I was hoping that wasn't going to be the last one I would see for the season. I did some more classing and saw stout looking buck to the right of the third doe. They were all frozen still and looking away from us, in the shade of the sunrise. It looked almost like the does were on lookout while the buck was eating breakfast. My buddy tried to range them but they were too far away. My range finder has a maximum distance of 600 yards and we estimated they were about 1000 yards out. We began our stalk/hike down a ridge out of view. It took us about 1 hour of hiking through heavy brush until we got to 450 yards away from the group. We were fortunate that there was no wind and the deers would be blinded by the sun if they looked towards us. I'm sure they heard us because there was no way around the heavy dry brush. We got to within 1 ridge of the buck and my buddy ranged him at 250. I found a nice clearing to prone out with my bipod and took aim on the buck of the group. He was looking right at me but couldn't see us because of the sun and heavy brush. He was standing perfectly still and almost looked like a decoy! I was about to take the shot but he turned around and started to walk away. I had a clear shot at his back and slowly pulled the trigger back, lining him up with the proper area of my BDC. I heard the noon of my rifle and then the WHACK! Of the bullet slamming home. Once I got my scope back on target I saw him laying flat and not moving. Best shot of my life. My buddy he he jumped straight up in the air and fell flat on his side. I've been waiting all year to bag a Muley and finally was blessed with the opportunity. I'll try to post a pic soon. Long post but I wanted to be descriptive because I love reading other hunters stories.

Great first post ! Post up that picture soon, we'll all be checking in to see it all night.

Strong work on the buck and great first post. Welcome to SCH!

Hopefully I uploaded the picture correctly. Got 75 pounds of meat off this Muley ! Freezer will be full for a while.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 25
Very cool man! I like that Cabela's Color Phase gear... I'm getting into some of that as well. Regardless of the color changing, it looks pretty darn good with the "foliage" we have in the Southern Cali area (especially D15). Nice job on that buck! Definitely a cool story for your first time!

Cool deal man! Congrats!

I agree, 75 lbs of meat off a SOCAL deer is a "ton"! Since you usually retain about 40% of the hoof weight in meat, that would make the live weight of that buck 187.5 LBS! What a beast! Congrats again.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu