Buck patterns during Rut

RMP

Jul 20, 2016
Hi all,
This is my first season hunting and had a question for the experts regarding mule deer buck behaviour during the rut. I am a novice bowhunter and have an AO and A-22 tag. This season I've spent about two total weeks scouting and have been able to hunt 5 days. I have seen does on about half of my scouting sessions and hunts, but this weekend was the first time I saw bucks! My most promising spot is in a desert environment on BLM land where I've been practising spot and stalk techniques. However, since the general season started I have been hunting CNF land that is mixed pine and oak forest. I used a climber tree stand for the first time this weekend and had a spike walk by within 30 yards look in my direction and keep on going about it's business as usual. It was nice to prove to myself that a tree stand works in that environment. I also saw a nice 3 point buck that was quickly passing by at about 150 yards. He stopped twice before disappearing into the brush. I think he may have been evading hunters that pushed him into my area based on his trotting/stotting gait.

Is it reasonable to assume during the rut that a mature buck will stay within the same region or will he range far and wide looking for unbred does? In other words, would it be a good bet to go setup on Friday in the same location with the hopes of encountering the big buck I saw this weekend?

This forum has been a lot of help so far and I appreciate any advice given.

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
Welcome to the hunting board. And my answer to the best of my tiny knowledge. The answer is yes . Then no depending on the area. Southern California deer will stay in the area until it gets pressured to much. Knuckle heads kicking it out of it's bedding area. Northerne deer will migrate but at certain time of winter season. I would be willing to bet that deer is in area. Go get it keep the wind in your face. And stay longer on that deer stand. Good luck.

Reactions: RMP
I would stay there as well...Most our bucks live within a 1 mile radius their whole life....Good luck

Reactions: RMP
Thank you both for the advice. Good to know that the deer in our area stick to a defined range. I was in my stand last Saturday before first light until about 3 in the afternoon and only saw one doe. Can't wait to get out there this weekend!

Reactions: steveo007
Agree, they stay in an area unless pressured. I see the same ones over and over on cameras and with binos. Trick is getting them in a decent shooting lane with the limited visibility in the thick stuff I hunt.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu