Building a gun safe

IMG_3815.JPG It's starting to come to life. Should be ready for powder coat by Monday afternoon. Think I am going to do black and get a gold leaf Tru-Duct logo for it.

Reactions: Ehvhram
IMG_3854.JPG IMG_3846.JPG IMG_3852.JPG IMG_3849.JPG So the safe is now at the powder coater. I am having a hard time choosing a color what do you think? Also BUILT FORD TOUGH!!! Glad it stayed strapped down didn't want to make the 10 o'clock news.

Reactions: Ehvhram
Looking good Drew! I like gunmetal grey as well, with gold leaf logo would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the color on the right. I wanted the left color but they did not have enough of it to do the safe. Wait until you guys see the magnetized bronze gun rods I am making to hold the guns they are going to be legit. I should have it done by deer season. Well it needs to be done by deer season or it wont be done until after.

Video makes me feel super confident in my design lol. No way you are preybaring into this thing and at roughly 1400lbs good luck putting it on its back.

I'm assuming you have holes in the floor of the safe to run all thread into the concrete.

The safe in question in the video was probably cheaply made. Or or poorly designed.

I've seen that video and others like it, just demonstrating that no safe is thief-proof; the question is how long it takes the thieves to get it open and what tools are needed. The safe in the video is probably pretty standard, but Drew's is a safe on steroids. For those of us lacking his skills, but obviously even for Drew, where you put it (limited access except from front, for example), and how you secure it (bolted to concrete, for example) are important considerations. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That thing is a BEAST!
Bonejour is correct. Nothing is full-proof. Just because it looks solid you cannot rely on that fact. The objective looks to be deterrent. That would work for me. However, some might think that bigger safe means bigger payoff and it just might be worth the effort. As with everything, it has a weakness and when found will betray the owner. One might think that it could potentially put the owner at risk for harm.
Concealment plays a major role. I would not show people i dont trust that I own a safe like that. That includes neighbors.
That said, damn that safe is MASSIVE. Great job.

Btw, are you going to keep those legs or will it lay flat on the floor?

You can cut into any safe

The way I look at it is, the safe keeps the honest people and and the stupid people from getting my stuff. The average meth head or punk is not going to defete even a moderately built safe.

A motivated pro will always gain access but what percentage of breakins are master criminals? More or less zero

Nice job can't wait to see the finished product

It is true , I have seen master safe crackers, break into formidable expensive safes. On video of course. which one would think, would be impregnable. Some are drill proof flame proof, and break in proof, not as easy as in the video. But every build has a weakness. And $$$$$$ that is spent. The design, the materials used. How it is fabricated. I supposed thief's look at the risk vs reward. I am sure some safes are fabricated with sandwiched fire proof materials. And impossible to pry open.

Last edited:
Curious to see the end result. I know what sets apart liberty safes from all the other manufactures is that they do not spot weld then weld everything to make it that much harder to brea in to .

IMG_0120.JPG IMG_0119.JPG IMG_0118.JPG Well the safe is back from powder coat and looks great. I am building custom sorting rods to hold up the Guns in the safe. That way I can place the guns wherever I want. The rods are 10/32 bronze all thread with a magnet on one end. The rods will all be 18" long. With the rods I should be able to store A LOT of guns and ammo in this safe. Very happy with the end result. I will not be fire lining it figure 1/4" plate will be more than enough. Now I need to get this beast into my garage lol. I have a lift gate on one of my trucks and a pallet jack. A local safe company said they would move it for $330 which I am really considering.

Reactions: Bonejour

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu