Bumper Build

Ocurtis

Dec 28, 2016
San Diego
Figured I would brag a little bit here. I decided I wanted a Winch on my 4runner since I often go out alone, and am taking it hunting in Utah this year. I also refuse to pay $1500 for an offroad bumper, but I want something really cool. decided to make my own! I searched google until I found one I liked (the white 4runner is what I am copying.) Not done yet, but it is coming along and looking awesome!!!

I want to powdercoat it, but can't justify the $$ so will probably buy bed liner from harbor freight and roll it on

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7996.jpg
    IMG_7996.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7997.jpg
    IMG_7997.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7998.jpg
    IMG_7998.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7999.jpg
    IMG_7999.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 52
Nice work.. can you make one for my FZJ80 Land Cruiser lol. Instead of bedliner there's also rattlecan Bumper Black or high heat engine paint.. I once painted my entire truck in that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Would probably be easy to customize the one i built to fit the FZJ. I made perfect templates to make it easier to build again, haha. no reason to do all that figuring and thinking just to lose it!

Very nice build. As some one that does that for a living it looks like great work. Need a job? what are you using to cut it? Grinder, plasma, shear?

Haha thanks GPS man, this is my first fabrication job, but love it and gonna buy all the goodies. I’ve only watched my brother and dad weld, figured it couldn’t be that hard so did some practice.

I am cutting with a worm drive. Started with an abrasive bit and changed to a carbide bit (much faster!)

Have access to a plasma cutter but never used it and didn’t want to learn on this job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Great job!!! I got my 100 series about 3.5 years ago. I started teaching myself to weld with a 110 buzz box and watched a guy weld on my rock sliders. After that, I made my own roof rack (all low profile ones were $1k +), and then made my own double swing out rear, and plate steel front. I don't do rock crawling so I did not go thick on the plate. But stout enough for a winch. Saved myself thousands and now I occasionally do side jobs for friends.

@ surfnhuntSD, i've made stuff for others. I'm no fabricator but now run a 220 mig, plasma cutter and use an oxy torch (not bad for a desk jockey). if you ever need anything done, it's not hard depending on design and if you pre-cut the pieces. I usually charge the cost of my consumables (gas, wire and welding/plasma tips = $75??) and usually what comes out to about $20/hr for labor. Or about $100/day. A bumper if you cut most of the pieces can be done in a weekend. I could cut but may take a little longer, depending on design. for simple steel front that holds a winch, a weekend. Only thing I don't have is a good tube bender. I have a hydraulic bender for 2" but I'll be honest, I'm not great at bending.

Attachments

• land cruiser.JPG
    land cruiser.JPG
    476.5 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: longbowhunter2
I picked up a white 97 triple locked 80. old lady find. flipped it in 24 hours. i should have kept it.

I'm in an offroading club called The Trail Crew (thetrailcrew.com). Mostly LCs, feel free to check out their FB page. I just did my valve cover gaskets, tube seals, ignition coils, breather hoses, PCV, radiator, water pump/timing belt, heater Ts, and cooling hoses. paid for the radiator just because i didn't have time, but did the gasket, seals and hoses. very satisfying to have it done. You don't live near La Costa, just south of Pendleton do you? You have a couple 40s also? I sold my stock bumper covers to a guy with a couple wagons, who also had 40s, former Marine also...

e5727683966eff1dfec5f8fb99dea87e.jpg
5bc0a964e0ea70b17ddba3679ee7ff10.jpg

Im nearly done now. Taking it to work tomorrow to
Plasma cut the blinker light hole, and then I’ll put a finish on it.

It’s Rock solid and weighs 80 pounds. Guys at ORW loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome job! I kinda want to do this for my 02 Tacoma. Finding the time to do it is the hard part haha

Reactions: Ocurtis

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu