Bunny bust

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
Should have scouted. Went to CNF in an area I saw some cottontails a few months ago. Took my air rifle and set up right at dawn. Waited motionlessly as the sun rose, fog lifted and birds got active. Heard multiple quail calls. The brush line I was staking out looked promising but rabbits never showed. Saw a deer.

IMG_1555.JPG
Finally went walking and found an area where rabbits were darting about through small openings but no way to get a bead on them. Could've gotten some with a shotgun but I was determined to do it with clean headshots so only had my scoped rifle with me. Had to get back home for other commitments so headed back to the car at 8 with no game. But I do know where I'll be setting up next time.

Made a good shot on this guy while hiking back. Good luck everyone!
IMG_1554.JPG

Kevin,

Same conditions I had......Shotgun (with steel) would've been a much better hunting tool.

Just nice hunting and watching the morning wildlife coming alive.

Water dawg,
I can't tell exactly where this is in CNF, I live out in that area, we are at the high point of rabbits right now, haven't seen a lot of coyotes this year. I'm still pretty new to the site and am not quite sure how to send a message, if you can send me a message, I'll reply and tell ya where I went yesterday. We got 4 cottontails and 1 jack. It was a pretty good day. Good hunting!

Man it was really overgrown in my bunny spot.. mustard grass that used to be boot high is almost chest high now, which made for tough hunting. Got 1 in the morning and a couple more in the afternoon.. nothing too exciting but looking forward to some buttermilk fried 'tails.

Reactions: Moves

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu