Burn areas

Cosmo2S

Aug 31, 2018
Ventura
Hello, I’ve been doing home and some field work regarding burn areas and there are a ton in the western states. It is pretty amazing to watch wide patches of land go from moonscapes to places possibly capable to holding wildlife. My question is, is there a time frame where bigger game are drawn back into these areas? I’m sure there are a lot of variables but I am more looking for personal insight.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Normally it takes about 1-2 years for lands to refurbish themselves.....And that's if the fire wasn't too hot.....Deer will be in the burns as soon as they start greening up after some rains.

Video focuses on elk, but the needs are the same for deer.

Also, as ilovesprig said, 1-2 years for browse to appear... The other thing to consider however is if multiple burns exist in your unit, typically you want to hunt the newest one that is 1-2+ years old (I.E.: there is a 2007 burn and a 2012 burn... hunt the 2012).

P.S.: Watch the whole 'E-Scouting' series.

Video focuses on elk, but the needs are the same for deer.

Also, as ilovesprig said, 1-2 years for browse to appear... The other thing to consider however is if multiple burns exist in your unit, typically you want to hunt the newest one that is 1-2+ years old (I.E.: there is a 2007 burn and a 2012 burn... hunt the 2012).

P.S.: Watch the whole 'E-Scouting' series.

Watching this has been on my things to do! Thanks!

Normally it takes about 1-2 years for lands to refurbish themselves.....And that's if the fire wasn't too hot.....Deer will be in the burns as soon as they start greening up after some rains.

The duration and heat of the fire is an interesting twist on how long it can take an area to rehab.

My experience in hunting burn areas is that it doesn't take long for critters to move back in or at least start passing through. Some of these areas are great as soon as some "green" starts in. The best part about hunting burn areas is the high visibility, especially for Deer, Coyotes, many of them still follow the same paths. For smaller game it seems that it takes much longer for them to move back into an area, in some cases up to 3 years.

Reactions: Cosmo2S

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu