Buying land is a bitch

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
sorry guys being trying to keep my political views off this board.
but I have been trying to buy land and throw an RV on it for my retirement. which is against SD county rules.
and the permit fees, fire prevention, and rules rules rules. They have it so F N it pisses me off.
so looking at buying a manufactured home same shit nickel and dime you to death.
need fire sprinklers, fire resistant materials. covered eves, might have to pave the road.

trying to get further out, can not leave the state, grand daughter can not leave. so I am trying to get out
to have peace of mind. raise some farm animals, like goats, chickens and on. some orchards, grow my own food.
squeezing the little guys to death.
just getting a few acres with no close neighbors.
why do I have to pay property tax, cal fire tax to the equalization board, sewer tax when I have a septic system. tax and fees.
permit fees, processing fees, fees fees. tax tax and more tax. grrrrrrrrrrrr.

some one tell why, we can not do what we want on our own property. as long as it does not effect, hinder or cause problems.
sorry for the rant

Ghost

I tried and failed to build here in OC in the canyon. I was in the wrong tax bracket to win the fight against them

The only good news is that sustainability and zero net energy (ZNE) is becoming huge in this state. Big business is involved in solar, fuel cells, wind, etc.

As more people want to live "off the grid" I imagine some of these taxes may be challenged in the coming years to come.

... but in CA I'm sure they will just make a new off the grid tax or something.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I seem to recall Ronald Reagan saying something like, "At the rate we are going, someday soon whatever is not prohibited will be mandatory."

nicapopolis said:
The only good news is that sustainability and zero net energy (ZNE) is becoming huge in this state. Big business is involved in solar, fuel cells, wind, etc.

As more people want to live "off the grid" I imagine some of these taxes may be challenged in the coming years to come.

You had to say it........unfortunately, it makes perfect sense for this state.

I'd be interested in sharing information about the land buying and building process. I have been very close to buying a lot on Palomar a few times. Some of them I retrospectively wish that I had purchased (near Bailey's, and a different lot near Jeff's Valley) and others I'm glad that I didn't (Crestwood area).

I wouldn't live on the land but may store a classic car in a garage there and build a cabin (or pre-fab home). I have solar panels on my home so I know how I would get electricity off the grid. Water, septic, and the building permit process I am not familiar with. This could be a topic for one of the message areas.

My advice would be to not give up. Instead make it a long term project and keep checking on things every time other areas of your life slow down.

DanSanDiego said:
I'd be interested in sharing information about the land buying and building process. I have been very close to buying a lot on Palomar a few times. Some of them I retrospectively wish that I had purchased (near Bailey's, and a different lot near Jeff's Valley) and others I'm glad that I didn't (Crestwood area).

I wouldn't live on the land but may store a classic car in a garage there and build a cabin (or pre-fab home). I have solar panels on my home so I know how I would get electricity off the grid. Water, septic, and the building permit process I am not familiar with. This could be a topic for one of the message areas.

My advice would be to not give up. Instead make it a long term project and keep checking on things every time other areas of your life slow down.

Dan
I have not given up but that said it's learning curve.
some of rules I have learned so far,

#1 very the owner of the land though city or county recorder (make sure it's not a scam.)

#2 verify the restrictions on land use. through city or county. (this is what has slowed me down) what you can or can not use your property for.)
plus any code for property access. for building. ( discuss with city or county )

#3 verify if the taxes are paid up

normally # 2 is the caveat, learning the hard way. I to just want a simple RV or a small home. but RV are now prohibited with out a dwelling on the property.
you can not get power with out a dwelling on the property. far as solar there are also restrictions. I need to dig more on that.
far as a manufactured home, to get financing Fannie mae requires these items.
it must be a double wide, and the home must be a permanent foundation. or permanent home.
https://www.fanniemae.com/content/guide/selling/b5/2/02.html#Ineligible.20Manufactured.20Housing.20Criteria

access road that have a 10% or more grade have to approved by the rural fire protection at county. it may have to be widen, and paved.
all homes require fire code, sprinklers inside, double pane or tempered glass, all material on the outside have to be fire resistant.
and I am just touching the surface, if it has a well, the well has to meet code for firemen use. $$$$$$.

and yes that is the power of the people is to collaborate.

Ghost Out.

Well found 27 acre lot I like. But problem with access road. More than 10℅ grade. Could not build due to , see if I spell it right. Covenant improvement. Prohibited to build unless the access road had to be widen 16 feet and paved or widen 21 feet. filled in with DG. Required civil engineer to design and approve. Starting permits where $3000 for preliminary plan check
Well this would put stop on my budget. Uggggg. This would cost 60 thousands dollars or more.

Not given up still looking..

nicapopolis said:

+ karma for you brother. yep solar is a go. looking at getting it installed on the new used home. ;)
still negotiating, keeping my fingers crossed. it is not done till the fat lady sings.

Ghost

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu