California-legal 7.62x54r ammo for hunting?

anti

Sep 15, 2013
Orange County, CA
Hey there, new guy from Orange County here.

I'd like to begin hunting next season at either Angeles NF or Cleveland NF with my Mosin Nagant, but I'm having trouble finding ammo that isn't FMJ or contains lead. I have a few boxes of Winchester soft points that I thought would be okay but they contain lead! I was also thinking of using some surplus ammunition I have laying around but I don't think we're allowed to hunt with FMJ ammo.

Are there any companies such as Sellier & Bellot, Prvi, Fiocchi, etc. that make a CA-legal 7.62x54r hunting round?

I'd really like to take my 91/30 on a hunt to see how she does. I know it won't be easy but I like to keep it traditional and challenging.

Did you Google it?
You can not use FMJ for hunting. If this is your first season hunting in California it will be challenging with any weapon you choose. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Yeah, most people are saying you have to reload it yourself. I'm just trying to find out if there's ANY commercial hunting ammo at all out there... you'd think there would be but I guess there isn't enough interest in using 7.62x54r as a hunting round. :'(

and thanks for the welcoming! I'm really looking forward to hunting; just need to take the HSC and wait until I can apply for a permit and tags for next season. Until then it's study study study!

Just to confirm, you can't hunt DEER/Game in California with FMJ's or lead rounds? You CAN use them both on coyote, correct?

That's great news! I will most likely be hunting in Cleveland NF or Angeles NF so I should be okay with the lead cartridges. I really don't want to fork out cash for a new rifle which is why I want to use my Mosin. Since it's my very first hunting season I just want to get the basics and make sure I like it first before I spend extra money on it. I suppose I could always use my step dad's 1903 if left with no choice but I want to use MY rifles.

I just might take you up on your offer when the time comes. I'd rather not chance it with all these stupid regulations going on. Where are you located? And do I need a 7.62x54r specific die?

CNF is not a lead-free zone. Your original post had me wondering... Good to know on the FMJ's... I hadn't heard that before.

Someone told me that they banned lead ammo altogether for hunting a few days ago. I thought it only pertained to bird guns for some reason but apparently not.

Yeah, apparently they won't allow FMJ because it doesn't kill/wound as well as other types of ammo. They don't want the animals to suffer... fair enough, I suppose.

Huntmup - I got your message!

ok as the voice of reason and logic..... no laughing

dude as a new hunter you should not be out hunting with your Mosin. To many things are just to damn hard to do with iron sights for a new guy. The cost of a rifle with a scope is going to be nothing in the long run. for 340 bucks right now you can get a bolt gun with scope at big 5.Go to fine firearms .. there are many deals like that around, The gun stores i go to have lots of bolt guns on the consignment racks!

Not sure about finding factory lead free loads for the 7.62x54r but there are a ton of 30 cal lead free bullets out there for reloading. Look at finding the dies and see about hooking up with someone with a press.
Cleveland is definitely not lead free. The bill just passed will not go in to effect until 2015. So just no FMJ. The bullets you said you have should be fine.

Alright, sounds good guys. I appreciate all of your help! :)

Aeon - I have a Springfield 1903 with a Redfield scope on it that I could use, but I'd like to try out my Mosin first and see how it goes. Maybe I'll end up taking the '03 instead anyway... who knows? :p

Huntmup said:
I have a new 243 with a scope that hits 450 yards no problem and a 45-70 I can drop a deer dead and 600 with just the v sight

I didn't even know a 45-70 would fly 600 yards so I looked up the ballistics.

So here we are:

45-70
300 grain bullet
BC 0.191
Velocity 2200 fps
1.5" high @ 100 yds
Impact at 600 yards = -208.11 or 17.3425'

In a nutshell - your holdover on the deer would need to be 17+ feet or a two story house. If you had a 5mph crosswind you would also have a windage compensation of 4.5 feet right or left. All with iron sights.

In my book, that is some amazing shooting! ;)

All in fun!

I have heard some amazing stories about the Sharps guns. One in particular was about a small group of buffalo hunters who became surrounded by some unfriendly Indians. They engaged and the Indians would back off and each time an Indian would get shot. This went on until the Indians finally left. It is said that one of the shooters was able to hit his target as long as he could see the target. That is a long ways away.

So know one is doubting you. Just thought the ballistics were interesting.

Disclaimer: (I have respect for the American Indian and only thought the story was interesting due to the amazing shots that were accomplished)

Sooooooo how fast can you push a 45/70?

I've had plenty of time behind those old 91-30s and can say with certainty that I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a shot beyond 200 with those old iron sights.

Now, with that said, I did "sporter-ize" a couple of them with a friend of mine and made them into scout-style rifles (long eye relief scopes, composite stocks, lighter triggers etc) and I would sretch that comfort zone out to 300, maybe 400 with a good rest.

I also shortened the barrels on those sporters to make them a little less ugly and a little more long-hike friendly

Not sure if you're still looking for lead-free ammo, but I was looking into the same thing and found this:

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=303_374

It's not cheap, but it could be worse. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Reactions: Corguy15

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu