Calipatria Inn - I just can't do it anymore

Dave3006

Nov 26, 2019
I have stayed there for years. I have always set my expectations extremely low. But, man. It seems WAY WAY worse than it used to be. I just stayed there last night, and it was clearly the grossest most filthy hotel I have ever stayed in. I fully expect to have some new STD and ebola as a result.

Does anyone have a recommendation of where to stay? Is there somewhere in Brawley that is any better?

Try the Petri Dish Motel, just down the street.

Actually, there are some really decent motels in Brawley and El Centro. Go on Hotels.com or Tripadvisor and you'll get all the info. Surprisingly, though, they are all a bit pricey, over 100 bucks.

Brawley Inn on the West end of town. Make sure you hit up Ramey's Meats across the street.

Reactions: kal-elk
Bout 15 years ago I got had a great idea to hunt the opener with the Mrs. at a neat little back water near the Wister. Instead of the camping we could really spruce it up a bit and get a room at the
Niland Inn, pull into the lot and she is like, ''OH HELL NO'' I'm like, how bad can it be? She says hold on let me check it out. I see her hit the office then come out with the clerk in tow, he opens the door to a room, she's in the room for about 15 seconds, leaves the guy in the dust and gets into the truck, ''LETS GO'' what's the problem? There is a used loofah in the shower, we are not staying here. I'm thinking, them things get soap on em every time someone take a shower they can't be all bad.

Needless to say the Calpat inn was much more inviting, we even had dinner there and it was pretty good all things considered. Even killed a few duck the next day.

Kinda a shame the place has gone to shit. Guess ya can't make it on the seasonal hunter and occasional trucker with the one local hooker.

Reactions: Dave3006
Went through Calpat and Niland on Monday. The gas station/minimart in Calpat next to the inn has been closed for years and I have never in the fifteen years seen besides dove season seen a vehicle parked at the inn. Nothing palatable to eat close by unless you want a donut at the donut shop which I have never had as I don't eat donuts or you dine at the gas station and buy a microwave meal. Too bad if they would revive the sea it could have another life but for now it is a safe ghetto to pass through on your way to something else...

The funny part about this story, is that I brought my wife of 33 years with me. It was her 3rd duck hunt. She didn't complain. But, I felt like a bad husband for bringing her to the Calipatria Inn. I really felt bad. She didn't complain.

We made up for it the next day. We limited before 8:00am and had the time of our lives.

Went through Calpat and Niland on Monday. The gas station/minimart in Calpat next to the inn has been closed for years and I have never in the fifteen years seen besides dove season seen a vehicle parked at the inn. Nothing palatable to eat close by unless you want a donut at the donut shop which I have never had as I don't eat donuts or you dine at the gas station and buy a microwave meal. Too bad if they would revive the sea it could have another life but for now it is a safe ghetto to pass through on your way to something else...
The donut shop actually has great mexican food. They have pizzas too but I haven't tried one.

Reactions: Fredthegad
One of my hunting buddies who was Special Forces in Vietnam stayed at Calpatria Inn 1 year ago. He stayed the first night of because had driven a bunch of miles to get there.
The next morning he went to front desk told the manager/owner that he was checking out. The guy asked “ Why are leaving we have you booked for 3 nights ? “ Buddy said, “ I spent 5 years in the jungles of Vietnam and this has to be the most disgusting place I’ve ever seen ! “. Lol !
I’ve stayed at the Brawley Inn and the Best Western , which isn’t very old, during dove and opening day for ducks.
We stayed at Best Western for the opener last weekend; 2 nights was 425 bucks with a dog. It’s not the Waldorf Astoria but it works.
I’ll second Donut Ave in Calipatria ; the Mexican food is great ! The Pizza is good too; sometimes when we are on the South end of Wister at the end of a days hunt someone makes a run for pizza and brings it to camp. The donuts are pretty good, but not as good as the glazed donuts at the shop by Vons in Brawley. Lol !!!
They tast like Helms Bakery !

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu