Camp Cady Dove Opener 2018

Victor.S

May 28, 2018
Just wondering if anyone has hunted there in the past 2 years and what your experience was. Thinking of going out there for Monday the 3rd hoping there will be less people than opening weekend...any info/stories will be greatly appreaciated...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yea actually I’ve been out that way a few times since work has been sending me that way and I’m trying to sell a family house in Vegas before we make our big move to our 20acre place so I’ve been out pretty regular the past year.

Camp caddy has a few dove. Not big numbers but they are there. Just hit it early. Ive never seen any after about 9am also never seen much in the after noon.

A note the road in has been very sandy in places. Almost got stuck one day so got 4x4? If not be careful might have to put the hammer down.

Just wondering if anyone has hunted there in the past 2 years and what your experience was. Thinking of going out there for Monday the 3rd hoping there will be less people than opening weekend...any info/stories will be greatly appreaciated...

I’ve been there a few times but never around the opener. The most success we had was in the afternoon next to the Willow trees on the south side of the river. East of the ponds.

I’m talking late afternoon, Last two hours of light when dove are coming home to roost along the river.

Thanks for your input Waterdawg...will probably go out early before it gets too hot since its going to be my first time out that way...but will definitely go back to try an afternoon shoot...Im only about 45 mins away anywho...

Yea actually I’ve been out that way a few times since work has been sending me that way and I’m trying to sell a family house in Vegas before we make our big move to our 20acre place so I’ve been out pretty regular the past year.

Camp caddy has a few dove. Not big numbers but they are there. Just hit it early. Ive never seen any after about 9am also never seen much in the after noon.

A note the road in has been very sandy in places. Almost got stuck one day so got 4x4? If not be careful might have to put the hammer down.
thanks for the input...how are the crowds usually? if any...

Will definitely post a report and some pics once I head out that way...trying to see if a buddy of mine wants to tag along...usually better hunting with a partner...

I can provide some intel.

I was up there on Saturday checking things out and I spoke to a real nice gentlemen who planted the field up there and was harvesting it. He mentioned there was a decent amount of dove up there 2 weeks ago, but, about a week ago the area got hammered by thunderstorms. I scouted the whole valley and I think he was right. I only saw about 25 dove in the field at around 7:30 a.m.
We went to the same place last year and it was really slow. Same thing happened a week before, thunderstorm.
2 years ago there was no rain and most people had limits within an hour or so.
I don't see that happening this year.

Thanks for the intel. Will probably still check it out even if we dont see too many doves, still worth it to explore new areas...

Reactions: Hunter_r925
My buddy did his limit last year on the opener by 9am. I'll be up there on Sat.
Hopefully I will see you there Nicholas...I'll be in my red pickup using a 12 gauge Remington Semi in camo...
a1d045c7d1339732143ee8705c50e743.jpg

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Just got back from Cady. The morning hunt seemed pretty slow, but I heard the afternoon in the wash area is supposed to be decent. A few guys I talked to said they roost in the cottonwood trees on the east side in the evening, past the second reservoir. Hope it helps!

Ok, recap time. I got to camp around 6 am to find the field in the parking lot relatively full. As I parked I could hear the wonderful aound of shotgun rounds going on left and right. I grabed my stuff and started to walk around the north side of the field. But before I made sure to sign in the little kiosk with my info.

Most hunter were using the uncut parts of the field for cover as you can see in the pics below. The morning weather was perfect, nice and cool with a bit of overcast. I can't say the action lasted a long time but there was enough to make it a good time. Most bird were coming in from the west side of the field towards Camp Cady/Ironwood. I stayed on the field for a good 1 1/2 hour getting only a few shots in but no dice. Seems like the prime real estate was being mid field.

Decided to walk to the river bed east of Harvard road where there was not as much hunter but relatively the same amount of action. Headed over there with a guy who was also there by himself and also his first time. Have to say saw more action in the riverbed than on the field. Given that I was late to find a spot in the field. Walked to Camp Cady seeing a few birds here and there but not able to take shots as they were too far. Saw 2 cotton tails and a Jack, again too far to shoot.

Have to say that there is plenty of action at first light given that you're positioned in the right place on the field. Overall it is an OK spot for locals from the HD if you don't want to do the 3+ hour drive to Blythe or the Salton Sea areas. Not a huge amount of birds but enough for a good time. If I was a better shot I would of came home with at least 6 birds but I guess 2 is better then none.
f960ef477f7f37961f66f6c838291a3a.jpg
31fd0a1fae3b232527ca16d7e3f94269.jpg
ede4a772eab16d0896b2c57eb0d44b8b.jpg
8164b9e51c730b33d038f739870bd3d4.jpg
7794b2b67d2fb3edd174184263b1aec2.jpg

Forgot to mention that the riverbed and dirt roads to the actual camp cady is extremely sandy. Put in a hell of a workout on my legs walking the 4 miles round trip since didn't want to risk getting stuck with my truck. If you're planning on driving through the dirt roads there, you will definitely need a 4X4.

If not, then hope you like walking on a beach minus the ocean.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu