Can't find em from the couch

Hey Drew, it's Tom, sorry for rolling up on you so late at Will's -- got a late start getting out there. Definitely was a beautiful night there in the Valley, my wife and I woke up around 2am ,after moonset, and watched the meteor shower -- very cool. Looks like you had a few productive days of deer scouting, good stuff! I did a little glassing from the roads of the areas we can't get into yet... couple does, and that was it -- we'll see what happens opening morning.

As for the bug spray discussion. Thermocells are great, in little to no wind, I still carry bugspray with me in case you happen to be in that terrible "Goldilocks zone", just enough wind to blow the thermocell smoke away, but not enough to blow the bugs away. In my opinion, a little extra bugspray scent is better than movement from slapping bugs. Grew up hunting in Florida where bugspray was an absolute necessity, didn't seem to bother the deer much (or maybe they had just gotten used to the scent, haha)

Lol funny that it was you. I probably looked like a deer in headlights when you pulled up. Definately caught me off guard at first I was out of it and was half dreaming there was a massive heard of deer around me then I came to and realized it was your truck.

Day #1 in the books. Had a doe come into about 15 yards brute and early then no action the rest of the morning. Went back took a nap hung out w the kids and I was back in the blind by 4:30. Again nothing right at dusk I decided to leave the blind and glass the other side of the valley. Ran into a big buck about 800 yds from my blind I was about 200 away when he made me clear rifle shot. There was maybe 5 minutes left in the day no time for a good stalk but got the blood pumping and the imagination going.
Good to know he is out there I am back in the blind this morning for day two ready to get it done.

Day two was pretty uneventful. It really cooled down a lot yesterday. I Froze last night and about 6:45 some one decided dusk is the best time to walk around and set up a deer blind. I kept my cool and walked out with him he was actually really nice I don't think he had a clue that that was a terrible time to be moving around. Probably wouldn't have had one come in any way.
This morning I did not want to get out of bed but I drug my butt up the hill and hiked out to my spot. Got in there around 4:30 this time I was prepared with a lot more layers. There was frost on the ground. Not much action just one doe. I could only stay out until 8 so I had time to get back and pack.
This wraps up my first archery weekend I have a lot more respect for the sport. It requires a ton of patience and a positive attitude. I can see how it could easily get defeating. But man when I stick my first archery buck it will all be worth it.
I won't be able to get back out for a couple weekends. But I will be back and I will eventually get my archery buck.
By the way I have an awesome wife allowing me to hunt morning and night all weekend while she stayed back at the cabin with all 4 kids.

Reactions: Macsteve
Drew, you're right about the challenge archery hunting presents. There are so many variables to take into account that you really have to be aware and present in the moment. Good luck the rest of the season.

Nice running into you and the boys Drew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back at it this morning. It will probably be the last archery hunt I get in since D16 tag archery closes next weekend and I will be out of town. Full moon makes for a very enjoyable walk to my spot. It's nice not needing a headlamp sometimes. Come on Buck!!!!

I'm rooting for you! Good luck.
BTW reading your posts inspires me to get off the couch. Im heading out afternoon for my hunt.

X2 on the full moon.. I finally had a chance to get out today with my bow and was able to hike the hour to my spot without a headlamp. No deer moving for me yet. Had some angry cattle that chased me off their field though lol. Got my blood pumping.

That's funny I ran into one stray bull and the dang thing took a couple steps towards me. I gave him space after that. Back home now only a few doe.

Haha yea those 2000 lb beasts sure are convincing. I needed to cross the field and gave them a wide berth but they still didn't appreciate it. The bull came out front of the cows, snorted, and soon the whole herd started trotting my way. They closed distance from about 250 yds to 60-70 in a hurry. I ended up jogging away into the brush. Would've looked pretty funny on video.

If you're in Laguna I saw those f'ers today. They were there in that field all freakin day.

I swear I saw a coyote or some sort of small dog looking animal running the tree line for a few seconds too.

Unless it was a herding dog maybe

If you're in Laguna I saw those f'ers today. They were there in that field all freakin day.

I swear I saw a coyote or some sort of small dog looking animal running the tree line for a few seconds too.

Unless it was a herding dog maybe

Nah I wasn't in Laguna.. but I know which field you're talking about.

Finally out with my rifle. Sitting here waiting on a deer. Didn't get to get out yesterday had to teach at a men's conference hoping God rewards me for missing opener lol. Gotta love bushwacking at 5am this is the life.

Hey Drew, I have some decent bucks on camera near zone 27. Keep at it, there's a couple good bucks there. They seem to be on camera either really early or at around 7pm.

Out for my 4th rifle day. So far seen 7 bucks but none of them big enough. I am hunting MCC so 3x2 or bigger. Hunted last night, today and tomorrow. After this weekend time will be very hard to come by really need to get this done.

Reactions: NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu