Catalina here I come...again

ladiver

May 11, 2014
Yorba Linda, CA
I am headed back to Catalina for a long weekend of hunting. Hopefully I am as successful as last year. Last year, I filled my freezer with over 100 pounds of meat. My wife and I have finished almost all of it. Two deer provided enough meat for the two of us for the entire year.

I hope to fill the freezer again this year with two deer, then go for elk next year.

Yummmmm deer is good eats......elk just a little better but a lot more of it

Good luck

Well, day one goes to the deer. All hunters were outsmarted! Time for a little bit of rest then get back out for sunrise. We did see quite a few doe with fawn and a few good looking buck. I am on a management hunt, so the beautiful 3x3 standing broadside at 98 yards was not allowed.

So how expensive is it this year? I have a friend who does these but since he is quite close with the top of the conservancy I have never heard him mention money. Since this figures into island conservation I believe they hold these hunts all year. Certainly not just in hunting season.

TonyS said:
So how expensive is it this year? I have a friend who does these but since he is quite close with the top of the conservancy I have never heard him mention money. Since this figures into island conservation I believe they hold these hunts all year. Certainly not just in hunting season.
Their site is saying $2k. Which I think is a great deal for all that is included.

I believe you are right about the conservancy and when they can hunt. Island residents can hunt the island too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My understanding is that The conservancy has a Wounded Warriors group that comes out for Sept. 11. Wildlife West then has until Wednesday before Thanksgiving. After that, island residents have till the end of the year.

Yes, the cost is $2k. Pretty spendy but great accommodations and food are included. Having vehicle access to the entire island is invaluable.

So far, it is just too hot to hunt. It peaked around 103 in the interior of the island. Deer were just starting to move around 7pm. I did get a doe this morning but nothing tonight. I have until 9:30 tomorrow to get one more (buck or doe).

2 of the three were doe. I did not get a great pic of mine (according to my wife, looks like road kill). My doe was a good size. After quartering and de boning, I got 44lbs of meat. The other doe was quite small. I think the buck was also a smaller one. I know it was packed in a small rolling cooler without issue.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443067115.030999.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443067115.030999.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 120

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu