Checking in from San Diego

newpower

Mar 16, 2015
Hi all,

Just joined the forum recently after a suggestion from one of my colleagues at work. I've had a lengthy hiatus from hunting, as the military and subsequent employment, some overseas, limited my ability to have firearms at all, let alone hunt. I'm getting back into it now, as my 15-year old son is showing interest and I think this is a great skill for him to learn, like I did from my Dad, and it gives us great opportunities for father-son time at an age where that gets more and more difficult.

I don't have a ton of trophies on the wall, but my greatest claim to fame was my 300-yard pronghorn shot in Idaho using my .308 Ruger M77 from the offhand position after tracking the herd up and down foothills all day long. We had not been able to get a shot in all day, we were losing the sun and it was our last day of hunting. The sausage we made from the antelope was pretty good!

Most of my other hunting has been bird hunting--ducks, geese, upland game in North Dakota. Some cold days in the blinds, for sure!

No worries about -10 in SoCal, so we've got that going for us here!

We are planning to go after some hogs this summer or fall; I've taken the online part of my Hunters Safety Course and when my son is done, we'll go for the in-person portion. I will be taking my trusty M77 and M94 30-30 on the hunt. We're both hoping to take our hogs with iron sights if possible. I'm sure my son will love it and hope it's the beginning of many great weekends together for a very long time.

Welcome to SCH and thank you for your service.......You may already know this, but, you are not required to take a hunter safety course, if you still have your license from Idaho (2 years).....Good luck to your son, if he's taking his...... ;)

ilovesprig said:
Welcome to SCH and thank you for your service.......You may already know this, but, you are not required to take a hunter safety course, if you still have your license from Idaho (2 years).....Good luck to your son, if he's taking his...... ;)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Serving my country was a truly an honor and a pleasure. Protecting our right to do great things like bearing arms and hunting is well worth all the sacrifices.

As for the hunter's safety course, unfortunately my Idaho trip was more than a couple of years ago, so it looks like I'll be hitting the books. That's good to know though...I will make sure I hold on to my old licenses in the future.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for serving. Sounds like your son will benefit from some fine family traditions. 8)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu