Colorado Elk + Deer hunt

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
With 3 points I pulled a 3rd season buck tag and my Dad pulled a 3rd season elk tag in the same unit I killed a bull in last year. We take off 5 AM tomorrow.

I finally joined the 30 cal magnum club (300PRC) and will be trying out 225gr match ammo this year. I am curious to see how it does.

Go time! Stay tuned!

Co elk 22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck I wish I was hunting Colorado this year but I am missing this year and very sad about it.

Reactions: 180ls1
Best of luck to you and your dad, the best part of every hunting trip for me was being able to share every moment with my dad. Best hunting partner I could have ever asked for. Enjoy your time together.

Well, woke up and spotted some elk immediately. Not in a good spot to stalk with the wind and the terrain but the herd held several raghorns and one nice 6x6. Lots of cows too.

We hiked around the rest of the day locating one other heard wayyyy far off. In the process I had my crosshairs on a nice fork, probably 20” wide. Let him walk although a 25” forky would be too cool to pass.

Day 1 in the books.IMG_0301.jpegIMG_0298.jpegIMG_0303.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. A road forky will not get a pass from me- lol.

I need to hunt a state where I can feel ok passing a legal animal!

Day #2, Sunday.

Very similar to day 1 where we were able to locate several more doe groups but they did not have any bucks with them worth pursuing. We did however locate a great group of elk (60ish) with a few bulls mixed into the cows. They are high (11K feet) and deep but glass-able from the road so we set off. After about 2.5hrs hiking trying to get to them we got 80 yards away from the last bull before they got into bedding with bad wind so we had to back out. We also were stuck with a private land border. Bummer. We go the rest of the evening locating more does but no elk on public and no good bucks.

Day #3, Monday.

My dad and I split up. He went to one place for elk and I slow hunted pocketed timber meadows for bucks. He did not turn anything up but I did see another forkie in full rut mode which was a good sign. That AM hunt did not produce so we came back for lunch. About 1PM my buddy and I split off to go look for deer while my dad heads back to the elk timber. Not 5 mins into my hike I glass uphill and see a great buck. GO TIME! I drop down and dial the scope (318 yards) while my buddy gets his spotter on it. He is feeding away and about to skyline. He angles to the right just slightly and I let it fly. Solid hit but the buck is still up. I start getting ready for a follow up and hammer him again. He starts coming downhill now and death is near. He collapses there and I watch him for a while. Just like that I punch my tag damn near the middle of the day. What a dream on a beautiful CO buck.

I'll work on the video, I have the kill shots through the spotter.

Co buck.jpg

Co mule 23.jpgCo buck.jpgCo mule 23.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu