Cottontail rolled up for dinner

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Headed out for a rabbit hunt today. Rain stayed away but there were definitely dark clouds around. SurfNHuntSD went for longer range shots with his 17. I rustled the brush with my 12guage.
After several missed attempts I managed to roll a cottontail at 25yards. Tried the fillet method of cleaning and it worked out well. Will post another picture tomorrow when I cook this one up for lunch.

Attachments

• 12A2E8C8-9639-4818-A846-B8D7B8C0C894.jpeg
    12A2E8C8-9639-4818-A846-B8D7B8C0C894.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 82528603-C84F-4216-8BDE-13119B6B433B.jpeg
    82528603-C84F-4216-8BDE-13119B6B433B.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 42
Headed out for a rabbit hunt today. Rain stayed away but there were definitely dark clouds around. SurfNHuntSD went for longer range shots with his 17. I rustled the brush with my 12guage.
After several missed attempts I managed to roll a cottontail at 25yards. Tried the fillet method of cleaning and it worked out well. Will post another picture tomorrow when I cook this one up for lunch.

Dan,

Only way to go...……..Congrats

awesome! i need to get a .17. i like doing the long range suff, but i cant seem toput down my bow. haha. how will you be preparing your lunch?

Hi Dan
Great that you got out and scored.
Did Jason get a shot with that 17
Let me know if guys might want to
Try pheasant this year.
LB

Hi Dan
Great that you got out and scored.
Did Jason get a shot with that 17
Let me know if guys might want to
Try pheasant this year.
LB
Lee,

No luck.. took 1 shot all day at a fast moving jack. Maybe with an open sight .22 I would've had a chance but with my scoped .17 it was a desperation shot. Really didn't see many out there. Seems hunted out and the rabbits need to regenerate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Lee,

No luck.. took 1 shot all day at a fast moving jack. Maybe with an open sight .22 I would've had a chance but with my scoped .17 it was a desperation shot. Really didn't see many out there. Seems hunted out and the rabbits need to regenerate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Hi Jason
Even on my property an sorrundings private properties there was hundreds of rabbits. But because of the drought there are very few. I take it they basically starved or got Eaton by predators. My observation.
But really low population.
So I leave them alone on my property.
I had lots of fun shooting ground squirrels. But most are all gone to.
LB

Nice, I got to on my new 22 the other day, I was out with my son a couple of days ago and missed all shots, they where all a little further away. I got to work on my long distance shots. fun day in the woods though.

Back