Could have been a bad day..

briantb

Feb 3, 2014
so cal
Hiking to a stand and just about stepped on this guy, he was coiled up and luckily for me was sleeping and never seen me, blended in to the terrain real well........ barbecued up real nice though ... ;D

Friendly Reminder to be Careful out there Guys

Attachments

• IMAG0657.jpg
    IMAG0657.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMAG0665.jpg
    IMAG0665.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0661.jpg
    IMAG0661.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 23
I put the head and skin in a mason jar with a glycerin/water mix and gave it to my grandson for show and tell at school...

Yep their out early.........I always wear my snake gators this time of year and get the vaccine for the dogs. Take it from me it can save their life.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been watching out, figuring they'd be out soon. Sounds like that one was still sluggish. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

Sent via Tapatalk

That one couldn't have told you he was there if he wanted to, rattles aren't long enough to make noise. Good thing you had your eyes open, if you had stepped on him it could have been very different...

briantb said:
I put the head and skin in a mason jar with a glycerin/water mix and gave it to my grandson for show and tell at school...

I don't know much about snakes, but I've always heard the venom can still kill you when the snake is dead... your grandson wouldn't go and pull that snake out and chase the kids around the classroom right?!

I just picked up these Whitewaters... They don't strap under your boot like some. Probably will rub the hair completely off my leg and sweat like a MOFO, but at least I won't die if I get bit on the leg. Don't know if the expensive gaiters are more comfortable or not. If not, might want to check these ones out... $50.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Whitewater-Snakeproof-Gaiters/725400.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dgaiters%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=gaiters&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

We starting seeing baby rattlers out on our hikes about a month ago. This is probably going to be a bad year as far as snakes go. Lots of them around.

8SteelTown said:
I just picked up these Whitewaters... They don't strap under your boot like some. Probably will rub the hair completely off my leg and sweat like a MOFO, but at least I won't die if I get bit on the leg. Don't know if the expensive gaiters are more comfortable or not. If not, might want to check these ones out... $50.

Yea I just ordered a pair of Camo chaps....I had some like those and got a rash everytime i used them

lucky day!!! Had a bite in 2002 and got off easy with a dry bite!!! still 8 hrs in the hospital,,,,

I thought I bookmarked the company but can't find it. The company has some proprietary material and makes all kinds of puncture proof industrial safety gloves and such as well as snake chaps and gaiters.

Their website has a demonstration/marketing video of a employee walking through a room full of rattlers taking strike after strike. By chance anyone recognize the company or marketing video?

Snake Charmer said:
I have a set of whitewaters and while they work well they are very hot and consequently uncomfortable, I'm trying a set of turtleskinz shin gaiters I'll let you know how they work out.

So do u like them that's what in looking at

I about stepped on one going down into a brushy cut to retrieve a yote down here in the desert recently :eek:, and a while before that when I pulled of the I-15 up by Rainbow to take a leak, I hopped down a gully and barely got stopped in time before trampling one :eek:. While before that, found one in the road up at McCain Valley. I don't run into them much unless I tromp around in the brush, staying in the open, I rarely see them.

The ones to watch out for in the desert are sidewinders. They wriggle down into the sand like a gator in a swamp, and I have had them chase me...until they ran into a 223 lead supplement.

Sound to me like we need to steer clear of you. You could be our rattler decoy. Your odds aren't good at this rate.. ;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu