Coyote hunting on Camp Pendleton

2K@Sta3

Apr 11, 2013
Has anyone hunted Coyotes on Camp Pendleton before, and have any detail they want to share?

You can hunt coyotes on Pendleton unless it changed in the last few months. You can only take them with rifle or shotgun. Bowhunting coyotes is a no go.

If you have a shotgun, the rolling hills of Mike and November can produce pretty well. I recommend the hills directly behind the impact area in November; it borders Mike at that also.

If you are rifle hunting I recommend anywhere in India. I had success off of Woods Canyon road, I entered on the same turn off as the 3 mile pit.

Good Luck.

I'm not in the military but have done some wildlife management for Pendleton for several years. I'm not sure what type of access you will have to certain areas. One of the things we did was help residents resolve coyote issues around housing areas. If you are allowed to hunt in surrounding areas next to homes, I would take advantage of it. Especially in the early summer when adults are feeding on family pets and trash in backyards, within 8-10 weeks juveniles will be out looking for food also. We shot a lot of coyotes along the beaches also, but we had special access to those areas. During the summer one of their major food sources is ground nesting birds along the beach.

A great place to learn about hunting on base is the sportsman club. They meet on base and have lots of great info on hunting and fishing on base.

http://www.sportsmansclub.net/

Besides the hunting club is there anywhere else to get information about hunting on base there? It is a bit of a drive for me so I would rather look online or call. Can you set trail cams on base there?

what type of info are you looking for? You will not find much online as the Game Warden website was not funded for the past two years. You can set up trail cams but be prepared for an area closing without notice, or guys finding them while out on their training events.

Midwest_Hunter said:
Besides the hunting club is there anywhere else to get information about hunting on base there? It is a bit of a drive for me so I would rather look online or call. Can you set trail cams on base there?

I did happen to come across the Game Warden portion of CP and scanned through it all. A lot of people have been saying that hunting is good on the base. The question that remains with me is which Tags will work on the base. I seen that in the 2013 Cal Big Game Hunting magazine that D15 tags are not good for CP but isnt that the zone it is in? :-\

The only tags that are good for base is the G-10 and AO. You will have to make a trip to the game warden office (bldg 2648) and buy the 20 dollar base permit, afterwards you will be given an eligibility letter that you will take to the Game Warden office on Ruffin Road to pay for the G-10 tag. Last year the letters weren't available until early August and I don't anticipate them being available any earlier this year.

Bowhunter_619 said:
The only tags that are good for base is the G-10 and AO. You will have to make a trip to the game warden office (bldg 2648) and buy the 20 dollar base permit, afterwards you will be given an eligibility letter that you will take to the Game Warden office on Ruffin Road to pay for the G-10 tag. Last year the letters weren't available until early August and I don't anticipate them being available any earlier this year.

OH ok that makes sense. I was going to make a trip up there to check out the areas they had available and see if they had a map at all.

Midwest_Hunter said:
OH ok that makes sense. I was going to make a trip up there to check out the areas they had available and see if they had a map at all.

The very first day I hunted CP I was in the Hotel area. Saw a coyote up on top, in a flat meadow area.

I don't know of any maps available to the public, but while hunting up in Papa, I found one by the side of the road up on top of a ridge. 8) That was back in 2000, and it wasn't a current map even at that time. I still have it, and if they ever open the base back up to civilians (stinking terrorists just had to go and ruin everything, didn't they?), I plan to use it again.

they have maps of all the training areas with best ways to access them. I have a binder I made with all of the training areas and the areas that I like to hunt best.

El Matavenados said:
Midwest_Hunter said:

The very first day I hunted CP I was in the Hotel area. Saw a coyote up on top, in a flat meadow area.

I don't know of any maps available to the public, but while hunting up in Papa, I found one by the side of the road up on top of a ridge. 8) That was back in 2000, and it wasn't a current map even at that time. I still have it, and if they ever open the base back up to civilians (stinking terrorists just had to go and ruin everything, didn't they?), I plan to use it again.

Well, I am not a civilian so I have a bite of an advantage I suppose. ;D I am planning on hunting up there but not sure when or for what yet.

Bowhunter_619 said:
they have maps of all the training areas with best ways to access them. I have a binder I made with all of the training areas and the areas that I like to hunt best.

Are these maps available on the base at the WOB? I am hoping to find some information there about the lay of the land.

Yes they have the maps at the Warden office bldg 2648. Hunting is only on weekends and holidays. One disadvantage for everyone that hunts a base is you never know when an area will be closed or open. Overall it's a good hunt. My kids and I enjoy it.

Midwest Hunter are you Navy?

Bowhunter_619 said:
Yes they have the maps at the Warden office bldg 2648. Hunting is only on weekends and holidays. One disadvantage for everyone that hunts a base is you never know when an area will be closed or open. Overall it's a good hunt. My kids and I enjoy it.

Why yes, yes I am.... :D Stationed currently at North Island while I heal from my current injury and my pending surgery. :'(

Midwest_Hunter said:
Bowhunter_619 said:

Why yes, yes I am.... :D Stationed currently at North Island while I heal from my current injury and my pending surgery. :'(

I am as well, I am stationed at 32nd st.

Bowhunter_619 said:
Midwest_Hunter said:
Bowhunter_619 said:

I am as well, I am stationed at 32nd st.

Cool we should hook up and hunt together if you don't already have a hunting partner if your up for it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu