Coyote hunting question

Pooworker

Dec 8, 2015
oceanside
How long do you guys stay at one spot and call for dogs? My brother in law has some land that I hunt on, I know there is coyotes, bobcat and other predators on it. I shot two dogs last year in same spot I set up on. It is rolling hills and brush so I can't see very far. Last few times i have called off and on for 30 min for nada.

IMHO if they are there you get them in under 15min, That's for coyotes. Cats can take their sweet time. My last kitty worked for over a hour from the first time I saw him.

Short sets and keep moving for the dogs.

Last edited:
I love the 7-8 minute mark for coyotes if they are in the area they should be coming pretty quick. I generally call around 20 minutes but I am impatient. You honestly might be training the coyotes at your brother in laws. Maybe don't call the spot for 6 months to a year and when you do go back try different calls. Also don't be afraid to howl for a few minutes and then go heavy on pup in distress.

Reactions: jjayson54321
30 minutes tops less time if you've got a lot of stands to cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the thing, I only do one stand on his property. It's not that big but he has issues with coyotes and cats attacking his animals. Last year when I shot two coyotes they ran in within minutes of caller coming on. I called in 5 or 6 and got two. And I takes about 15 min to walk uphill to area I shoot

That's the thing, I only do one stand on his property. It's not that big but he has issues with coyotes and cats attacking his animals. Last year when I shot two coyotes they ran in within minutes of caller coming on. I called in 5 or 6 and got two. And I takes about 15 min to walk uphill to area I shoot

Coyotes are the smartest predators I've hunted. They get educated that the call means danger. If after 30 minutes they don't come in they probably won't and you'll have to give it a few months or even a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make the sounds of the critters they are feeding, goats or chickens or pets, it all works

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu