Coyote shotgun ammo

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
If I'm reading the regs properly I need or will soon need steel shot to hunt dogs in the National Forest. I looked around online and found only one option - HeviShot Non toxic Dead Coyote in 3" at $5 per shell. Anyone know of other options and pricing? Thanks!

If I'm reading the regs properly I need or will soon need steel shot to hunt dogs in the National Forest. I looked around online and found only one option - HeviShot Non toxic Dead Coyote in 3" at $5 per shell. Anyone know of other options and pricing? Thanks!

I've been using federal steel T shot its around $1.10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They used to make a steel F shot......Might be something that could be suggested to the Federal or some other ammo company.

And anything will kill a coyote, if they're close enough......;)

ps......Make sure, if you shoot steel this big your choke is not restricted much....Probably no tighter than improved cylinder to be safe.

I killed one once, many years ago, with #5 lead while pheasant hunting in Idaho. I'm pretty sure that almost any goose load, BB or BBB on up will do them in fine as long as you don't try to stretch the distance too far.

They used to make a steel F shot......Might be something that could be suggested to the Federal or some other ammo company.

And anything will kill a coyote, if they're close enough......;)

ps......Make sure, if you shoot steel this big your choke is not restricted much....Probably no tighter than improved cylinder to be safe.
Thanks I didn't know about the choke issue. And yes, the spot I'm looking at would be a close range shot so it sounds like there are several options at reasonable prices.

The new regulations state that you need to have non lead ammo for all animals taken with a shotgun except dove, quail, and snipe until July 1st 2019 at which point non lead ammo will be required to hunt anything. It does not say that you specifically need to use steel shot for coyote hunting just that it needs to be non lead. Steel shot will kill coyotes if they are close enough but in my option you are much better off using a non toxic heavier than lead tungsten load. I would recommend the non toxic heavier than lead loads like Hevishot Dead Coyote, Federal Premium Heavyweight Coyote, or Winchester Xtended Range Coyote. Unfortunately these loads are expensive and there really isn't a cheaper option that I'm aware of if you want the knockdown power that they offer.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu