Culling the herd

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
(Pics to follow) So, here I am hunting with my two brothers on my brother Bob's farm in the eastern foothills of the Blue Ridge (VA). He has a game cam that showed a variety of bucks that have frequented the place, with a couple of nice trophies but also a number with odd-shaped headgear. Ground rules for this year: Tom and I were instructed specifically to avoid hitting a beautiful 4 point because he has a great starter rack and Bob wants to keep him around. Everything else was fair game, with an emphasis on culling bad headgear from the herd. Early on the first day, Bob passed on a 6-point with a narrow rack.... I know what you're thinking, but he didn't want to risk shutting it all down for this buck when we were just getting started... SDbirds would understand ;D. I saw nothing but heard plenty throughout the day. There was a big animal bedded down in a thicket just off his property above my stand, but when I tried to work my way closer it thundered off along the ridge. So day one was a pretty quiet day until sunset. Tom took out a nice 8-point buck as it ran downhill away from his stand. We got that one down to the truck and called it a day.

Day two, Saturday, Tom saw a buck and a doe in the morning but couldn't get a shot from his stand. In the afternoon he passed on a few does but hit a button buck in the mid-afternoon. His stand is between a 3-year old clear-cut logging operation and a stream bed, both of which are on Bob's property; and he's been seeing a lot more than Bob and me. By late afternoon, after seeing nothing all day, I thought I'd try a call about 40 minutes before sunset. I gave a tending grunt and rattled hard. Nothing definite but I thought I detected some movement over the rise. I rattled again and put the sticks away. About a minute later, a big, oversexed 3-point came snorting and stomping over the rise. He was looking around for the fight, and was a little confused to find no action. I think he saw me, but turned away as if to say, "Puny human, you are not going to fight me." He went back and forth, stomping and wheezing, and with all the noise he was making I just sat and waited to see who else he could call in. After 2-3 minutes I decided his rack was a little underdeveloped for his size... ;D Anyway I doubted that I or anyone else would believe my story without proof, and with all the adrenaline pumping I had to prove to myself I could close the deal. I've sniped deer plenty; it's easy to stay calm when shooting deer that approach unaware. But when you've called one in and he's looking pretty much straight at you well, that was a new experience for me. He was broadside to me at 40 yards; I took aim and shot him through the heart. He fell over dead.

There is no hunting on Sunday in VA. We were back out this (Monday) am, still quiet for me but Bob shot a 4 point with asymmetric antlers and Tom passed on another doe, a six point, a four point and a spike. We have this afternoon before we call it quits. Tom offered me his tree stand... I think I'll take it! 8)

Again, pics are coming.

Thanks BearTracks and Longbowhunter2 for the advice and info on calling, and to all the experienced hunters who post on this site. I've learned a TON this fall, and I'm an old dog so that's saying a lot! 8)

Welcome to the SCH site RWF. I will make a guess - you are Bonejours brother?

Thanks guys. This afternoon was a bust despite the reportedly good location. Tom says he was lucky at that site, but he's been hunting a long time and he clearly is better than I am at seeing deer in their habitat. It was a great visit with my brothers. Tomorrow it's back to San Diego and work on Wednesday.
Here are the pics.
Tom's 8-point's headgear, my 3-point and Bob's 4-point, who accommodated the photographer by collapsing into a photogenic pose.
8)y5uha4ez.jpgnamunu2a.jpgarymy2ur.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk

Awesome job guys...the top rack is a dandy!

Some nice back-straps in that group of deer!

longbowhunter2 said:
bonejour

you look young brother.
good job man, I feel mission accomplished.

LBH2

Bonejour is the old guy in the middle photo! ;D

you look young brother.
good job man, I feel mission accomplished.

LBH2
[/quote]

Bonejour is the old guy in the middle photo! ;D
[/quote]

yes I know ;)
[/quote]

Lol. I guess it's all relative. As long as my brothers call me first when they have to haul a bear or a trophy buck to the truck, I won't forget that I'm the youngest brother :)

Sent via Tapatalk

Loved the write up of the hunt, Don. Brings back good memories. You weren't kidding about needing pics to spout off in this forum. Guess I won't try to lie about a 12 point.

Thanks Tom. Glad you got onto the site. You're right: pics or video, or keep your story to yourself.

Sent via Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu