D-11 Success-It's A Friday Thing!

Gteam2

Oct 24, 2013
Another great day in what I consider my back yard. I can't get enough of the Angeles NF. When I'm not hunting in it I'm running in it! Well fortunately for me I have Friday's off and it pays off again.
I started out early to been on a ridge top at first light. There weren't any vehicles parked anywhere near the area so figured I might have it all to myself. Well should've known better but that's all right, things happen for a reason.
About 7:30 or so I spot a doe and not too far behind her a buck hounding her a bit. I couldn't tell how big until I put the spotting scope on them. He was a well defined fork on one side and a smaller fork on the other. The picture is through the scope holding my phone by hand with deer out about 500 yds so sorry for the quality. I watched for a while to see if she would attract anything bigger but to no avail and they moved off to WATER and out of sight. I kept glassing when I heard a shot far off to my north the direction i was heading to the next vantage point. I decided to move and get to a knob that gave me a great view and started glassing couldn't see much movement so kept moving along a connecting ridge and glassing as I went. I had moved about 50 yards off the high point when I heard a shot way closer than I expected anyone to be but couldn't find the shooter. I figured they were in the canyon adjacent to me so moved slowly down the ridge glassing for any movement. I knew the face of the ridge I had come off of had some great cover and would be shaded so made a move to glass that area and as I was getting into position I looked down the canyon and spot a buck bedded. It looked close but pulled the range finder out to confirm and got a reading of 100 yds. I set up my shooting sticks and laid my rifle down ready to shoot. As I looked through the scope I could see a decent rack but wasn't sure I wanted to take the shot so brought the rifle down and looked through the binos to see if I would see something to change my mind and I did his fork was more visible as he turned slightly helping me decide. The buck was bedded facing away from me at a slight angle, my shot entered on his right side at the top of his rib cage and exited the chest. He never moved from the bed. He's not the biggest but was big enough for me today! D-11 and the Crest have been good to me I went out 2 times with the rifle and spotted 3 legal bucks, not a bad deal! I love getting out there during the week and hunting the hills where I've made so many memories and great adventures. Good luck everyone! I used my Savage Model 116 in 300 Win Mag topped with Burris Fullfield II BPlex 3.5-10 x 50mm with 165 Grn GMX Hornady Superformance.
IMG_9377.JPG IMG_9395.JPG IMG_9399.JPG

Last edited:
Strong work! Way to get out there and make it happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gteam2
Way to go Fernando! Awesome story and write-up. Nice buck. Did you ever locate that other hunter? I bet you covered yourself in blaze orange in your way out.

Great job bud! nice buck for sure, you'll have to continue your story about the shot you heard.

Way to go Fernando! Awesome story and write-up. Nice buck. Did you ever locate that other hunter? I bet you covered yourself in blaze orange in your way out.

Don,
Thank you and I finally saw the hunter after I took the shot, he came out of the canyon to my west where I would of never been able to see him from where I was. He heard my shot and came up to see if there was a buck getting away and spotted me down the canyon with my buck. I mentioned in my write up that things happen for a reason and what I was referring to is what happened next but I thought I was writing too much and cut the write up a bit. The gentleman (Salvador) said hello and then asked if I would mind if he climbed down to see the buck and I said come on down. He was really excited to see the deer especially after having missed a few shots early and the last one I had heard. He congratulated me and asked if he could help and mentioned to me that his truck was only 1 1/2 miles to the east and I was parked 3 1/2 miles from that point so I said sure. He said he hadn't gotten a deer in the 6 years he's been hunting so was happy to help get a deer out. We took the deer to his truck and then he gave me a ride back to my truck, it would've been a much longer and tougher hall out without the help. I asked if he would like some venison and had him come to my place after I butchered it and gave him his choice of cuts. He was super happy and said his wife would finally believe that he's been going hunting. He really appreciated it and I his help. It was good to run into someone like that out there. So I definitely believe it all happens for a reason. Thanks again!

Wow, I can't believe you left this part of the story out. That is the most uplifting story I've read on this forum.
It's one thing to enjoy your kill but to have someone be equally happy for you and help you out...thats some samaritan.
Kudos to you for being kind to him and sharing also.

I've heard stories of people being unapproachable and aggressive at the trail heads for someone wanting to check out their harvest and congratulate them. I myself have thought that I will just admire someones harvest from a distance.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Wow, I can't believe you left this part of the story out. That is the most uplifting story I've read on this forum.
It's one thing to enjoy your kill but to have someone be equally happy for you and help you out...thats some samaritan.
Kudos to you for being kind to him and sharing also.

I've heard stories of people being unapproachable and aggressive at the trail heads for someone wanting to check out their harvest and congratulate them. I myself have thought that I will just admire someones harvest from a distance.

Thanks for sharing.
It is a wonderful story. X2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu