D-16 Deer Tags???

QuackerSmacker

Jan 23, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
So I was just on the DFG website poking around looking at deer tags and I didn't see D-16 tags as an option. I think I heard they are having a draw this year but it's not even listed as an option under the 'draw' section. Also, I heard that you can hunt the D-16 area with an AO tag, is that true? Can you bow hunt during rifle season in CA? Thanks guys!!!

I just purchase my license, tags, validations and entered my choices for my deer tag in the draw. First choice was G13, second choice A22 and third choice was D16. So, D16 does show up in the draw. Now I have to wait and see what type of deer hunting I'll be doing.

AirRifleHunter said:
I just purchase my license, tags, validations and entered my choices for my deer tag in the draw. First choice was G13, second choice A22 and third choice was D16. So, D16 does show up in the draw. Now I have to wait and see what type of deer hunting I'll be doing.
Ray, I've been waiting and watching, thinking this over. Been talking to Ghost offline about it it too. I think I may do exactly what you did.

Sent via Tapatalk

AirRifleHunter said:
if u have any points, u should draw the g13, good luck man!

AirRifleHunter said:

As I understand it, this will yield you either
a) a g13 tag
b) a point and an A22

The only way you'd get the d16 is if you missed the draw on g13, and somehow a22 has already sold out OTC.

I would summarize the Draw rules like this:
- You can only get one premium.
- A point counts for the premium you didn't get (so you can't get a point AND a premium)
- You can't have a premium AND a restricted.

The only loophole is that all tags left over by Aug 2 convert to general OTC purchase. In the extremely unlikely event there tags left over by Aug 2, you could theoretically score a point, a premium, and a restricted (or some combo of them). To do so you would have had to miss the draw on a premium (thus scoring a point), put a restricted as your second (thus accumulating a point and a rest.), then pick up the mythical left over premium on Aug 2.

Others correct me if I'm wrong.

msteiger said:
AirRifleHunter said:

As I understand it, this will yield you either
a) a g13 tag
b) a point and an A22

The only way you'd get the d16 is if you missed the draw on g13, and somehow a22 has already sold out OTC.

I would summarize the Draw rules like this:
- You can only get one premium.
- A point counts for the premium you didn't get (so you can't get a point AND a premium)
- You can't have a premium AND a restricted.

The only loophole is that all tags left over by Aug 2 convert to general OTC purchase. In the extremely unlikely event there tags left over by Aug 2, you could theoretically score a point, a premium, and a restricted (or some combo of them). To do so you would have had to miss the draw on a premium (thus scoring a point), put a restricted as your second (thus accumulating a point and a rest.), then picked up the mythical left over premium on Aug 2.

Others correct me if I'm wrong.

That the way I understand it as well.

AO is the bowhunting versus of the D-16. Same season, same regs (fork bucks and up) and same area. I hate rifle season because my boy and I had too many close calls of snapping rounds over head. Careful out there!

Going to get my G10 tag much safer for rifle season and about a 22% success rate. Hope I get one this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu