D-16 First Buck, now gone

Cgruwell05

Oct 11, 2014
Escondido
Hello Guys,
This was my first deer season and first deer taken. This is a D-16 buck. The buck is gone now, message me if you want details.

Attachments

• IMG_2118.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2119.jpg
    IMG_2119.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2125-1.jpg
    IMG_2125-1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 113
That's awesome, congrats. I killed a buck a few years ago that looked almost identical to yours, pretty cool!

Okay I'll guess........

You got a ticket for no tag on deer or something like that......it's not the end of the world

Looks like a good clean kill on a nice buck. That's something, and makes for a good first post. If you made a mistake, you're probably not the first person on the forum to make it.
Don't beat yourself up.

I heard of a predator that's going around the forest in a green uniform. He loves taking deer from people

Nice buck but crappy post. You want everyone on the forum to pm you? Give us something. Change the names and locations to protect the innocent. Throw us a bone!

Alright guys. I appreciate all the feedback. So heres what happened and dont beat me up too bad, like I said I am just getting into this hobby. Been tracking this buck the last 2 weeks and got the opportunity to get out yesterday but didnt see all but 1 doe while I toughed out the rain and wind. Thought id give him another shot today. Got to my spot about 530am and started glassing. Right as the sun breaks the hills i put the binos down and look up to this 3x3 starring right at me at 100 yards. We are in a staredown for what seemed like 10 minutes. He finally drops his head and walks behind a bush, this is when i try to line him up but he is standing behind a bush at about 90 yards. We have another 10 min staredown. He then begins moving east into a small draw. As he walks through he never gives me an open shot. Of coarse i look through the scope and he is directly between me and the sun, so i couldnt see anything. He moves to about 75 yards and over a small hill. I sit for another 10 min hoping he would cut back my way. At this point i figure i would get up and try to hike to where i thought he was going. I stand up and look left and there he is, 52 yards and starring right at me again. At this point i figure its now or never, so in a standing position i line him up and let it fly. He dripped on contact and it was over. Since he was looking right at me i figured the best spot to aim was his neck right beliw his chin and luckily he got it there after steadying myself while standing. I still dont understand why he stuck around. I know he saw me but i had very good scent block on so i am still trying to asaer that question.

Anyways. This is where my rookie mistake came in. Tagged him around the rack but left my pens in the truck but figured no prob ill do it as soon as i get back to truck. That was the problem. Dragged him back and tired as hell get to my truck and warden is there waiting. I wasnt stressing though because at the time i didnt think i did anything wrong. As i drop the buck at the dnd of the trail i go to my truck to get pen. He calls me over and asks to see tag and i show him it on rack. He looks at blank tag and is like "are u kidding me?" I didnt understand until he stated that it had to be tagged immediately. Turns out they took my first buck, which killed me. Nothing like seeing a wardin load a buck in their truck especially when you have put in a lot of time for him. Got a citation and have to go to court now.

Talk about a roller coaster day. All i can say is read the regs throughly and dont make my mistake. It is tearing me up right now. All because of my dumb rookie mistake.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu