D11 bear and deer hunting (1st year)

Birddognate4

Feb 18, 2024
Hello all! This will be my first year deer hunting. I am a SoCal resident (Orange County at the moment) and was looking some some help in advice for d11.

I’ve been on multiple hikes through the Glendora and Azusa area and gotten into some burns in the San Gabriels near falling springs. I’ve seen a couple doe but nothing I can really pattern. I set one camera in the Glendora area and one in the cedar springs and falling springs areas.

My questions are. Should I be looking more east in higher elevations ? Those spots I’ve looked are 3-6k feet. I also would be carrying a black bear tag this year. Is it smart or not so smart to hunt an area for both or is that counterproductive ? I’ve heard mixed things. I’m not looking for anyone’s hunting spots and I’m willing to put in the miles. Just looking for the wilderness areas that are more populated.

If anyone if willing to
Mentor or show these tactics and tips in hand in d11 I would love to get out there. I am newly obsessed with muleys and black bear. I’m 28 years young and trained in be mountains in the army. Furthest I’ve done is about 6 miles 1 way in half day and 6 miles back. 2000 feet elevation gain. That’s about where I’m at since getting out ! Thanks again!

Reactions: HATCHET1 and khunts
Bear and deer overlap in that area so nothing wrong with having both tags. My experience in the area is deer don’t move elevations much you find pockets of them where you find feed and water

Reactions: khunts
i follow the berries for bear starting in achery season, they ripen lower and move up the mountain. By General season look for the oak stands that are dropping acorns, berries will be gone. The Does seem to be resident, but bucks will find them during the rut. If you are not targeting bears specifically still good to have a tag, most are taken that way.

I have always found it better to focus on one species at a time. That said, don't be "blind" to everything else. Keep the tag for the other in your pocket and if an opportunity presents itself, take it.

Also, our deer are not all that petternable. You can find environments/hills/valleys they prefer but that's usually it. Especially on public.

I usually look for this...and then it turns in to this..I hate bears..they look cool though..and the summer sausage is decent if the right guy does it..if you don't f with them..they will do the same thing weekly..creatures of habit..key is you gotta be there..That's my hot tip of the week ..sorta..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240422-110137.png
    Screenshot_20240422-110137.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240422-111756.png
    Screenshot_20240422-111756.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Addendum...So cal bears are way cooler than Nor cal bears...they don't hibernate...they just keep on going..I like November December for harvest..

i follow the berries for bear starting in achery season, they ripen lower and move up the mountain. By General season look for the oak stands that are dropping acorns, berries will be gone. The Does seem to be resident, but bucks will find them during the rut. If you are not targeting bears specifically still good to have a tag, most are taken that way.
I was at about 5k feet and saw acorns it looks like, limited berries though. Water in area trickles year round. Azusa area IMG_8071.jpeg

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu