D11, D14, D15, D19

Shmee22

Apr 19, 2014
I've been an annual D11 hunter for the last 14 seasons now and I'm just getting the itch to try a new zone. Driving distance from my house will be the same. I live in Riverside so I can technically hunt D11 D15 D14 and D19 (all about 30min-1.5hrs driving distance.) Which is the better zone of the four? Reason for wanting the change is because I'm just tired of constantly running into recreational hikers on the main trails throughout the D11 zone.

Can't answer your question on which is beter, but I know what you are talking regarding the hikers. Had some really bad comments (censored) from a few when I was hunting d11 two weeks ago.

They are all going to be relatively similar. Last year, the success rates for these zones were as follows:

D11 - 3.2% reported / 6.0% estimated
D14 - 4.3 % reported / 8.5% estimated
D15 - 3.5% reported / 7.3% estimated
D19 - 3.1% reported / 6.6% estimated

8SteelTown said:
They are all going to be relatively similar. Last year, the success rates for these zones were as follows:

D11 - 3.2% reported / 6.0% estimated
D14 - 4.3 % reported / 8.5% estimated
D15 - 3.5% reported / 7.3% estimated
D19 - 3.1% reported / 6.6% estimated
How is the public access in D14 up in running springs, lake arrowhead, green valley lake, and big bear area? And are those areas good deer hunting?

You gotta get some maps and get out there. Lots of access points for all those areas. Can't speak to the number of deer but the number harvested last year in D14 was 130 reported bucks and 256 estimated taken. D11 was 155 and 289 in the same year.

Time in the feild will tell you everything.

Iv been hunting d16 hard for 4 years and and still have yet to connect on a buck.

Every year I get closer and closer

Hi everyone! New to this forum and relatively new to deer hunting as of three years now. All hunts in Tennessee for me. I'm now hooked and want to start hunting here being from California. My question is how is the deer meat in these hunting areas? My uncle used to deer hunt here but he said the meat doesn't taste as good because of the "dry" food sources and conditions vs. northern or out of state deer hunting areas. I take everything he says with a grain of salt. Like to hear some feed back.

Also, sounds like the hikers are hostile??? What's up with that?

Camo_Man said:
Hi everyone! New to this forum and relatively new to deer hunting as of three years now. All hunts in Tennessee for me. I'm now hooked and want to start hunting here being from California. My question is how is the deer meat in these hunting areas? My uncle used to deer hunt here but he said the meat doesn't taste as good because of the "dry" food sources and conditions vs. northern or out of state deer hunting areas. I take everything he says with a grain of salt. Like to hear some feed back.

Also, sounds like the hikers are hostile??? What's up with that?

I've had deer meat from a few different states. So cal deer taste just as good, or better.

If you are seeing hikers then you are not maximizing your success chances. The hikers usually stick to trails for fear of getting lost. Deer don't worry about being lost.

The best hunts I have been on were way away from trails.

Thanks for your input. I was a bit discouraged. Any experience hunting in the Bishop/Lone Pine area?

Camo_Man said:
Thanks for your input. I was a bit discouraged. Any experience hunting in the Bishop/Lone Pine area?

I have a lot of experience in those areas......X tags are all draws and historically, you'll need some points.

Great point MJB! Lol. Out of curiosity, are you finding you can day hike in and out or are you needing to outfit for overnight in these hunt areas?

I'd go for 2-3 days.......day hikes will not be enough most of the time. At least 3-5 miles off the beaten path and with D11 go high.....the rut is your best bet for a good one......Halloween and after is when the rut gets going. Their was a thread on here somewhere about rut & deer behavior.

Also I tell people all the time call the deer bio for that area get to know them and don't go asking for a spot lots of aholes do that and most bio's are not into that. Ask them where you should start for a backpack hunt and don't forget to ask if they need help with any field work. You know be a nice guy willing to put your time in the field

Thanks for the advice. I'm all about conservation and helping out. Being good hunters and stewards of our country is important.

By any chance can you share with me what a "deer bio" is and how to contact? Thanks

My brother got a deer here in D-15 zone. So it is possible to get a deer in this zone. They aren't huge but his wasn't that bad for around here.

Camo_Man said:
Deer biologist. Dugh! Just need direction to contact them. Go HIGH or go home.

The deer biologist for that area will be at the super bowl party at my house.......just sayin'...... ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu