D11, D14, D15, D19

MJB said:
I'd go for 2-3 days.......day hikes will not be enough most of the time. At least 3-5 miles off the beaten path and with D11 go high.....the rut is your best bet for a good one......Halloween and after is when the rut gets going. Their was a thread on here somewhere about rut & deer behavior.
Here is the thread:
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=6726

Thanks MJB and everyone for your advice. I was hoping for a little more feedback on altitude locations to scout. I've been out on several day hikes in the D14 and D11 zones. I'm really familiar with white tail feeding habits and areas they would congregate. I'm having success in finding tracts in some locations and plan to further explore.

My question is how high is high enough? Or too high? The timber range is obvious to me but once going above when it thins out there is a lot more ( I call shrub) chaparral. Lots of good cover for deer but the ground cover is real loose and I can't tell what if any tracks I'm looking at. Here's some photos of what I've been looking at recently. Not sure if I'm going too high?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433253858.505543.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433253858.505543.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 474
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433253876.045624.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433253876.045624.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 105
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433253891.067683.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433253891.067683.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 466
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433253912.476061.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433253912.476061.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 83
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433253927.200314.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433253927.200314.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 110
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433253937.707847.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433253937.707847.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 72
Obviously Baldy is not a good site with all the traffic but I thought the photos are representative of other areas I'm scouting.

They may be in your backpack, but I don't see any binos.......I would glass that kind of habitat......I'm sure there's deer at that altitude. Especially, the warmer it gets.

ilovesprig said:
They may be in your backpack, but I don't see any binos.......I would glass that kind of habitat......I'm sure there's deer at that altitude. Especially, the warmer it gets.

Two seasons ago I shot a small Forky up on top above Vincent gulch mine. I believe thats Baden Powell mountain. (Correct me if I'm wrong). So I don't believe that's too high for deer even though I saw an Ewe "female bighorn". Buck was feeding at 11:30am in some Manzanita brush. Elevation is 9,400 ft. The following weekend I was up there archery hunting and talked to a guy that also shot a buck up in that same spot and showed me a pic. That deer was a smaller antlered 3x3 but had one of the biggest bodies I've seen for a SoCal deer. He claimed in that the butcher weighed in on at 80kilos 175lbs. It was a big buck but not sure if he embellished that a tad. Lol

Thanks guys! Glad to know I'm looking in the right areas.

No these pics are from Mount Baldy , I think it's real name is San Antonio or something like that. Big hiking area one valley over from the ski resort. Lot's of foot traffic. Just using it as an example of other areas I'm scouting.

Binos are on loan to a friend on vacation in Alaska. Would normally have them with me. It was more of a conditioning trim for September.

Reactions: ArcheryOnly
Camo_Man said:
Thanks guys! Glad to know I'm looking in the right areas.

No these pics are from Mount Baldy , I think it's real name is San Antonio or something like that. Big hiking area one valley over from the ski resort. Lot's of foot traffic. Just using it as an example of other areas I'm scouting.

Binos are on loan to a friend on vacation in Alaska. Would normally have them with me. It was more of a conditioning trim for September.

Everybody will have their own opinions on where to look for nice deer. One pointer that someone gave me in the past is if you look at an area and think there can't be deer in there, there usually is. Lol Areas like that are worth setting up trail cams just to see what's in there. Like everybody else said on this thread are true though, if you are going to be successful you have to get clear of trails and main areas ppl are. So high up or a couple miles off of trails in deep canyons. This is my first year that I'm going to set up some trail cams so hopefully that will fair well for me. Good scouting and hunting!!

Your on the right track to where some of the biggest SoCal bucks live.........To get one you must backpack hunt them and pass on the little ones the big ones are even deeper. Hard part they are in small pockets about 5 miles off the main trail and it's all about the water.....water for you and them........during deer season key on the does around Halloween and you'll see bucks.

I'm old school trail cams are out! learn to track and read tracks, trail cam can't help you read a track or read the woods & the animals.......on public land lots of treehuggers and other aholes that like to take them

Appreciate everyone's feedback again! Which ever method you use, I thank you for affirming my instincts. Hope I have success this first year going out with my bow. Should be fun "hunting"! Perhaps I'll meet some of you out on the trails some day. Good hunting to you all too!

D19 is okay BUT you have to get in the canyons where the other dudes will push you the deer and glass... it's hot so bring some water, a lot. I got a deer there last year. Good luck.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu