D14 AO tag filled

ke1234567

Jul 24, 2018
Santa Clarita, CA
Long story not made short. Within the two weeks before opener, my very close aunt and my dog passed away. It was a very challenging two weeks before opening day. I met my buddies in D14, got absolutely drenched with rain on Friday evening all through morning. In fact, we planned to be up at 0400, but it was absolutely dumping with "flash flood" warnings when the one bar on our phone would intermittently show up. We stay in our tents and within an hour, rain lets up. We get dressed and head to the trail head. Hunting partner was getting ready and I headed into the woods. It started to rain again but I stayed out there. As the rain lets up, I see a beautiful rainbow and snap a pic. Within an hour, I go off trail in a ravine that I've seen bucks in before. Within a few steps, deep fresh foot print. Can't tell if it's a buck print, but obviously, it's something heavy so not a fawn. I take about 20 steps and on a ridge at my 11:00, two small 2x2's in velvet. There was a third deer that I could not see the head gear. Ranged at 58.7. I try to take a step to move closer but they were staring at me started to move. Mine was now quartering away but still at least 58. Take first shot, clean miss and I'm pretty sure I didn't line up my peep and site ring correctly, low and right. He then takes a few steps and is completely broadside. He must have felt pity on me. Took second shot, a little high and back but he's hit and limping to the left. I get up to where he was standing, find my arrow, complete pass through. I then see a flicker of his childish-sized antlers in the bush 10' away. He's bedded. His body is exposed and I take another shot and he's immediately dead.

THIS WAS MY FIRST DEER EVER AFTER HUNTING THE LAST 5-6 YEARS. Everyone told me I'd be emotional. Surprisingly, I was not at all. However, I did sit there and think about my aunt and my dog. I truly believe they were looking out for me, and that my aunt probably assisted with that first miss because she always had deer in her yard and would give me a joking eye roll when I talked about deer hunting. She rooted for me but was not disappointed when I didn't get one. So I reflected for a couple minutes, called my buddies and got to work. Not a large deer by any means, more of a meat buck. I am certainly not a very religious person, more of the belief that "there are no athiests in a fox hole." I didn't realize it at the time, but I believe the rainbow was a sign (not that...). The man upstairs had a hand in this one because at one of the lowest points in my life thus far, He provided. And I am thankful.

IMG_4343[5345].JPGIMG_4334.JPGimagejpeg_6.JPGIMG_4332.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Long story not made short. Within the two weeks before opener, my very close aunt and my dog passed away. It was a very challenging two weeks before opening day. I met my buddies in D14, got absolutely drenched with rain on Friday evening all through morning. In fact, we planned to be up at 0400, but it was absolutely dumping with "flash flood" warnings when the one bar on our phone would intermittently show up. We stay in our tents and within an hour, rain lets up. We get dressed and head to the trail head. Hunting partner was getting ready and I headed into the woods. It started to rain again but I stayed out there. As the rain lets up, I see a beautiful rainbow and snap a pic. Within an hour, I go off trail in a ravine that I've seen bucks in before. Within a few steps, deep fresh foot print. Can't tell if it's a buck print, but obviously, it's something heavy so not a fawn. I take about 20 steps and on a ridge at my 11:00, two small 2x2's in velvet. There was a third deer that I could not see the head gear. Ranged at 58.7. I try to take a step to move closer but they were staring at me started to move. Mine was now quartering away but still at least 58. Take first shot, clean miss and I'm pretty sure I didn't line up my peep and site ring correctly, low and right. He then takes a few steps and is completely broadside. He must have felt pity on me. Took second shot, a little high and back but he's hit and limping to the left. I get up to where he was standing, find my arrow, complete pass through. I then see a flicker of his childish-sized antlers in the bush 10' away. He's bedded. His body is exposed and I take another shot and he's immediately dead.

THIS WAS MY FIRST DEER EVER AFTER HUNTING THE LAST 5-6 YEARS. Everyone told me I'd be emotional. Surprisingly, I was not at all. However, I did sit there and think about my aunt and my dog. I truly believe they were looking out for me, and that my aunt probably assisted with that first miss because she always had deer in her yard and would give me a joking eye roll when I talked about deer hunting. She rooted for me but was not disappointed when I didn't get one. So I reflected for a couple minutes, called my buddies and got to work. Not a large deer by any means, more of a meat buck. I am certainly not a very religious person, more of the belief that "there are no athiests in a fox hole." I didn't realize it at the time, but I believe the rainbow was a sign (not that...). The man upstairs had a hand in this one because at one of the lowest points in my life thus far, He provided. And I am thankful.
Hard work, way to close the deal.

Reactions: ke1234567
Heck ya!! My favorite time of year has begun!! Strong work,!

Reactions: ke1234567

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu