D16 Buck

SDhunter05

Nov 2, 2016
So today was a very special day. I put in so much work through hiking, scouting, researching socal Muleys over that past 2 years. I was discouraged last year after not seeing a single deer. But this season i wouldn't give up. I put in nearly 10 miles over the past 2 weeks with some signs of deer. This morning i woke up at 3am and got to a new spot and sat until sun up. After glassing for 30 minutes i finally saw movement, not 1 deer, not 2 deer but 3. A buck with 2 does. After ranging i realized he was at 460 yards, too far for me despite the nerves. As i inched forward i got to within 425 yards which i felt very confident. I gave myself a few minutes to wind down the nerves. This is it, as i had him in the crosshairs i could only hear my two younger brothers saying breathe slowly, aim small miss small and don't pull and gently squeeze. BOOOM, as quick as i fired he dropped right where he stood! I gave him 30 minutes, as i waited all i could do is thank the buck for his sacrifice he had given. He will now provide food for my family!

.IMG_20171105_091811_734.jpg d16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So today was a very special day. I put in so much work through hiking, scouting, researching socal Muleys over that past 2 years. I was discouraged last year after not seeing a single deer. But this season i wouldn't give up. I put in nearly 10 miles over the past 2 weeks with some signs of deer. This morning i woke up at 3am and got to a new spot and sat until sun up. After glassing for 30 minutes i finally saw movement, not 1 deer, not 2 deer but 3. A buck with 2 does. After ranging i realized he was at 460 yards, too far for me despite the nerves. As i inched forward i got to within 425 yards which i felt very confident. I gave myself a few minutes to wind down the nerves. This is it, as i had him in the crosshairs i could only hear my two younger brothers saying breathe slowly, aim small miss small and don't pull and gently squeeze. BOOOM, as quick as i fired he dropped right where he stood! I gave him 30 minutes, as i waited all i could do is thank the buck for his sacrifice he had given. He will now provide food for my family!
Excellent work. And great long shot.

Reactions: Geofish
Congratulations. Thats a nice payoff for the hard work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD,

These are the kind of hunts I love to hear about.....You worked hard, you showed great stick-to-itiveness, and was prepared with the right equipment for the job.....Damn great story and effort.....Congrats

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu