Dash & his last hunt for the season

Nicholas909

Suns out, Guns Out
Sep 1, 2014
Yucaipa
IMG_0761.JPG IMG_0766.JPG Took Dash to Raahuages for one last outing before they closed. He work his butt off in some 4ft tall grass. Once again he did good job. You can tell he really enjoys it. Ended up with 3 pheasant and 2 chucker, I missed 2 chucker and 1 pheasant due to me playing with my new action camera. Or I just suck. Once I figure out how to download and edit them I post them up.

Last edited:
That's great. I almost went out there today but just couldn't swing the day off.

Start training for ducks soon it's really fun to watch the dog swim out and do his thing.

That's great. I almost went out there today but just couldn't swing the day off.

Start training for ducks soon it's really fun to watch the dog swim out and do his thing.
I've been training him with water retrieving a couple weeks after I got him. He is actully a strong swimmer and retrieves better from the water.

The surrounding terrain in your photo's is nothing but foxtail weed. While its green like that its not so bad (still dangerous though) but is deadly when it begins to dry. It dries out and becomes a one way needle with barbs that will penetrate under the the skin and move around in their bodies. I understand you're not going back soon but I strongly urge you not to take him back there this year until that stuff is plowed under and gotten rid of and even then its not completely not safe.( it will be back next year if they do not address this issue.) It takes many years to rid a field of it and you have to use herbicides and till the soil to get rid of it. Personally I think its extremely irresponsible for the owners of the club to let dogs run in that stuff. I put a lot of effort into my training field every year to make sure that we have no foxtail in the areas we train in.

Reactions: Bonejour
The surrounding terrain in your photo's is nothing but foxtail weed. While its green like that its not so bad (still dangerous though) but is deadly when it begins to dry. It dries out and becomes a one way needle with barbs that will penetrate under the the skin and move around in their bodies. I understand you're not going back soon but I strongly urge you not to take him back there this year until that stuff is plowed under and gotten rid of and even then its not completely not safe.( it will be back next year if they do not address this issue.) It takes many years to rid a field of it and you have to use herbicides and till the soil to get rid of it. Personally I think its extremely irresponsible for the owners of the club to let dogs run in that stuff. I put a lot of effort into my training field every year to make sure that we have no foxtail in the areas we train in.

I do appreciate your concern & advice. Before I made my reservation i talked to them about the foxtails. When I got to the field is was definitely worse then I thought. I did a quick visual of the area & since its been rain and wet, the dried out foxtails would be minimal. So I decided that I would work him in shorter sessions. Every time I got back to the truck I would inspect his ears with an Otoscope, Nose & eyes. Even when the weeds are green they still pose a risk. Luckily I have a loving pain in the ass wife who is a Vet tech. She has taught me what to look for and how to handle most issues with fox tails. If the weeds would of been a little drier I wouldn't of hunted him.
This was Dash's last trip there this season.

Good for you man, all due respect too you. I'm glad you get the consequences of that stuff. It's deadly. My whole point in the post is to spread the word to the new dog owners that this stuff can kill as well to put Rahhauges on notice to fix the problem. we use their facilities as well to train so if encouragement from all of us give's them notice maybe they will deal with it. If not contact us and you can use our facility to train your dogs

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu