Deer hunting ETA

SoCalB3AST

Just curious what others do, say you have found a spot u want to go to, how early do you get into your spot in the dark and wait an how long do you wait their before u start to walk and stalk if at all?

If I have taken the time and scouted that spot I will stay there all day. However, a lot depends on the topography of the spot.

SoCalB3AST said:
Just curious what others do, say you have found a spot u want to go to, how early do you get into your spot in the dark and wait an how long do you wait their before u start to walk and stalk if at all?

I try to get set up an hour before dawn, sometimes earlier depending if the hike takes shorter than expected. Although if you hunt a popular area on public land you'll quickly find out that others often like to hike in well after dawn, slam truck doors, and set up on top of you. I like staying put for awhile because in the spots I hunt I usually see the deer moving at sunrise and then again around mid-morning. After that I'll start moving around and try to glass for bedded/watering deer or I'll even try to bump em out their beds.

last year I walked in about an hour before grey light, worked out pretty good, at grey light I had 2 bucks staring at me from across the wash. But bad thing was like mentioned above, other hunters like to drive in on 4x4 and talking out loud... but you can't fix stupid ;).. have any of you guys slept in your hunting spot? I was thinking of trying that this year, just because walking in an hour before had the bucks already on there guard..

I thought about sleeping in my spot but the wife told me that their wouldn't be shit within 100 miles because I snore to damm loud roflmao

There's probably no one good answer......Lots of scenarios to take into consideration.....On public land that is thick and very typical of D-16 these techniques have been successful for me...... ;D

Once the rut has started, bucks will move anytime of day looking for does, or getting beat up in an area....Let the other guys move around.....Watch trails that are hidden from view of others (in or near thickets). Another thing to look for are edges of chaparral with deer trails entering them (Jacob & I have found a great one on public land recently).

I always get started at least an hour before I can see (depends on the length of walk). Then letting the woods/area settle once I get to where I want to go (trust me, they know your there).......In the afternoons, same deal. Good vantage spot, watch for movement.

Attachments

• deer 2009 001.jpg
    deer 2009 001.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 18
  • deer 2009 005.jpg
    deer 2009 005.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 16
  • deer 2009 009.jpg
    deer 2009 009.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 18
  • deer 2009 082.jpg
    deer 2009 082.jpg