Deer size for either sex take in CA?

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
I don't remember seen info on deer size for A22 tag.

If there isn't what is your criteria of take?...I mean, I would probably pass on what I would consider a Fawn or small Doe.

I anticipate this could be a touchy subject, but I promise not to pass judgement and I hope we can be tolerant of others views.

Thanks

Can't shoot spikes unless the antlers are 3" or less....I think.... ;)

(b) Antlerless Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, antlerless deer are defined as female deer, fawns of either sex other than spotted fawns, and male deer with an unbranched antler on one or both sides less than 3" in length.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAG 1
I know absoulutley nothing about California...so im no help, but im pretty sure its clearly stated in the regs specific to A22.. specific to either sex tags...prolly something like No spotted fawns...No spike deer *unless male deer has a spike less than 3 inches(like stevo said) * all other deer may be schwacked....i think...but best to read the regs...cause thats what Mr. Green jeans will recite to you..if your lucky.

Reactions: MAG 1
Can't shoot spikes unless the antlers are 3" or less....I think.... ;)
x2
the reason for this regulation you can not see the spike very easily.. you could mistake a spike for a doe.
I refrain from shooting spikes but under 3" is legal, also don't pass up on a doe take the shot.....
I would definetly take a forked horn or larger..
note not a rule but a guide is if you can hang a ring on a fork its game on...
a warning for all newbies always make sure of your target.. carry binos, to make sure of your target.
a lot of bow hunters out there don't make a mistake. you see movement dont shoot unless you know exactly what it is
you hear.. be safe out there and mind your peas & q's.
Longbow

Reactions: sportyg
The reg's are your bible, Read and understand and carry them with you otherwise you are depending others that may not have a proper interpretation. There is no forgiveness if you are in violation. If you do not understand the reg contact a local game warden and ask for his knowledge and record his name, date of contact and your question. Just like a traffic ticket no get out of free jail card when you are contacted and you will have to take it up with the judge. Bottom line have your ducks in arow and know or feel the pain..

Reactions: Wildgame

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu