Deer tag signed?

Tbob

Dec 11, 2014
Hey guys,
Went and got my first CA hunting lis and a deer (D16) and bobcat tag. I had to pay a non-res becuase I guess I haven't been here long enough and I answered the guy honestly.. Anyways, I think I read that if I shoot a deer, I have to drive around with it to find somebody to "counter-sign" my tag for me.. Is this true? Do I really have to have someone inspect my deer and sign my tag for me? This seems kind of weird ..

Get used to it............It's California............And yes, it needs to be validated.......Here's a list of people who can do it.

.§708.6. Tag Validation, Countersigning and Transporting Requirements.
• (a) Any person legally killing a deer in this state shall have the deer license tag validated and countersigned by a person authorized by the commission as described below before transporting such deer, except for the purpose of taking the deer to the nearest person authorized to countersign the license tag, on the route being followed from the point where the deer was taken (refer to Fish and Game Code, Section 4341).
• (b) No person may validate or countersign his/her own deer tag or tag.
• (c) Deer and Elk Tags, Persons Authorized to Validate. ◦

(1) The following persons are authorized to validate or countersign deer and elk tags: ◾

(A) State:
◾ 1. Fish and Game Commissioners
◾ 2. Employees of the Department of Fish and Game, including Certified Hunter Education Instructors
◾ 3. Employees of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
◾ 4. Supervising Plant Quarantine Inspectors
◾ 5. Junior, Intermediate and Senior Plant Quarantine Inspectors

◾ (B) Federal:
◾ 1. Employees of the Bureau of Land Management
◾ 2. Employees of the United States Forest Service
◾ 3. Employees of the United States Fish & Wildlife Service
◾ 4. All Uniformed Personnel of the National Park Service
◾ 5. Commanding Officers of any United States military installation or their designated personnel for deer taken on their reservation.
◾ 6. Postmasters & Post Office Station or Branch Manager for deer brought to their post office.

◾ (C) Miscellaneous:
◾ 1. County firemen at and above the class of foreman for deer brought into their station.
◾ 2. Judges or Justices of all state and United States courts.
◾ 3. Notaries Public
◾ 4. Peace Officers (salaried & non-salaried)
◾ 5. Officers authorized to administer oaths
◾ 6. Owners, corporate officers, managers or operators of lockers or cold storage plants for deer brought to their place of business.

Don't count on anyone signing off your deer tag always have a back up I've had people refuse to sign off a tag before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always hit the ranger station on the way out. Somebody comes out to the car and sees the head and signs the tag.

Dang! What a pain... Glad I noticed that part! Nobody at the office told me about this.. I told them I was new to CA hunting and that this was my first CA liscense and tag.. Crazy he didn't mention anything to me about this. Seems kind of important.

That's why it's good to check in with experienced hunters. I'm just gonna go out on a limb and bet that here isn't a mistake you could make that someone here hasn't made before
Never hesitate to post a question if you have one. That way everyone learns and we repeat fewer mistakes.

Deer tag signed?

WingWhacker said:
So my wife being a sherif can sign my deer off for me?
Yes I've had several of my neighbors who are sheriffs have signed off my deer tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WingWhacker said:
So my wife being a sherif can sign my deer off for me?

Yes. but technically it's supposed to be the closest available location......If she's with you, then it doesn't get much closer than that.................... ;)

Tbob said:
Hey guys,
Went and got my first CA hunting lis and a deer (D16) and bobcat tag. I had to pay a non-res becuase I guess I haven't been here long enough and I answered the guy honestly.. Anyways, I think I read that if I shoot a deer, I have to drive around with it to find somebody to "counter-sign" my tag for me.. Is this true? Do I really have to have someone inspect my deer and sign my tag for me? This seems kind of weird ..

Have you been in California less than 6 months/.....Are you in the military?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it.. I have been here in Ca for 4 months now and nope, not on the military.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu