Desperation Move

Excellent point and totally concur. I have never seen movement and not been able to ID the type of animal, even foxes and coyotes. without binos (just mk1mod0 eyeballs).

I have even seen people over 1,000yds (bright colored hikers and cammied hunters). Movement gets the attention, then you figure out what your seeing moving with the eyeball. Never would use a scope to differentiate or ID an animal from human.

Totally agree with your point on NEVER pointing a gun at something you aren't going to shoot. Ingrained in me for over 50 years.

I know bino hunters that scan with binos might jump to the conclusion I scan with the rifle scope. Nope, that is looking through a tube and in this thick brush I believe I miss too much movement.

I've been looking out 2-300 yds and then see movement 30-40 degrees off where I'm focused, turn my head and see a road runner or fox.

Like I said, I do use a spotting scope in open country. Even then I find myself using the eyeballs more than the scope.

Hope above makes sense.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Excellent point and totally concur. I have never seen movement and not been able to ID the type of animal, even foxes and coyotes. without binos (just mk1mod0 eyeballs).

I have even seen people over 1,000yds (bright colored hikers and cammied hunters). Movement gets the attention, then you figure out what your seeing moving with the eyeball. Never would use a scope to differentiate or ID an animal from human.

Totally agree with your point on NEVER pointing a gun at something you aren't going to shoot. Ingrained in me for over 50 years.

I know bino hunters that scan with binos might jump to the conclusion I scan with the rifle scope. Nope, that is looking through a tube and in this thick brush I believe I miss too much movement.

I've been looking out 2-300 yds and then see movement 30-40 degrees off where I'm focused, turn my head and see a road runner or fox.

Like I said, I do use a spotting scope in open country. Even then I find myself using the eyeballs more than the scope.

Hope above makes sense.
Hi Brad
I started out with a peep sight. About 40 years ago. I also seen most of the deer by sight
But back then I had 20-30. Vision.
And would mostly still hunt.
But once I had an other take a shot at me about 25 years ago.
He saw movement.

Hi Brad
I started out with a peep sight. About 40 years ago. I also seen most of the deer by sight
But back then I had 20-30. Vision.
And would mostly still hunt.
But once I had an other take a shot at me about 25 years ago.
He saw movement.
This is sort of unrelated but a good safety reminder for the upcoming turkey season. A few years back I thought for sure I was about to watch someone get shot... I heard some gobbles a ways out, so I glassed across this valley to find him, but I knew the pitch and cadence of the gobble just wasn't right. I finally glassed a hunter where the sound was coming from, and saw he was shaking a gobble call. Then I look to his left and glass another hunter closing in fast. I thought man, I have a front row view of someone getting shot. I lost view of the stalking hunter but I assume nothing happened since I heard no shot. So yeah make sure what movement you're seeing, and don't use a gobble call on public land.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I rarely hunt turkeys without binos too.....Again, in this day and age, there's just no reason not to have them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu