Did anyone misplace an arrow?

I don't recognize the arrow but I do recognize what looks like bird feed around the base of that tree stump...

Yeah. My friend who took the pic is not a hunter. She has a cabin and feeds the animals in her yard. She didn't shoot the bird.

Sent via Tapatalk

Haha looks just like one my buddy Cody lost there. Except he clean missed a deer.

I'll be on the lookout for that bird though ;D

There was a picture of one just like that floating around, except I thought it happened in Ramona, during the Spring season? In the photos, you could see that it was shot with a field tip (not a broadhead). Big stink was raised.

No field points should be used for hunting. They don't kill and then you have this stuff. Probably a kid messing around. Can't say much cuz I was a kid once too. This pic doesn't bother me cuz I know it just pierced his seed sack and he's fine but pictures like this are saved and used against us for years to come to turn the public against us. This pic will probably show up the next time they want to shut down the youth hunt in the park etc. Someone needs to take him out before he is given a pet name, shows up in the newspaper, a fundraiser put on to pay for is capture and rehab. Its a turkey! Kill it and eat it.

Well I apologize to all in advance if this causes a problem. This turkey has not been seen since July and I'd expect he'd have a hard time escaping a predator. My friend told me about it and I asked her if she had a picture.
I've seen animals that appeared to have really suffered after a bad shot. He doesn't look to me as though he is suffering; more like the avian equivalent of a nipple piercing.
That shot wasn't far off the mark, but maybe this discussion about field points vs broadheads will help one of the novice bow-hunters avoid making a similar mistake in the future. In that case the post will have had a positive effect consistent with SCH's mission. Hunters are human after all, and we all make mistakes. But i may have been a little naïve in posting it this way. Will consider that next time; already spoke to Nick about it.

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
Well I apologize to all in advance if this causes a problem.

No worries Don. This is just reality. Stuff happens and not all hunters completely understand the ropes. This thread will do more good than bad. Best to educate, not hide it. Believe me, there are plenty of photos available for antis to drum up propaganda.

It's already helped me. I didn't know not to use field tips for turkey. I will make sure to use a broadhead in the spring. I bought some small game tips for rabbits, are there any issues I should consider with those?

Bonejour said:
Well I apologize to all in advance if this causes a problem. This turkey has not been seen since July and I'd expect he'd have a hard time escaping a predator. My friend told me about it and I asked her if she had a picture.
I've seen animals that appeared to have really suffered after a bad shot. He doesn't look to me as though he is suffering; more like the avian equivalent of a nipple piercing.
That shot wasn't far off the mark, but maybe this discussion about field points vs broadheads will help one of the novice bow-hunters avoid making a similar mistake in the future. In that case the post will have had a positive effect consistent with SCH's mission. Hunters are human after all, and we all make mistakes. But i may have been a little naïve in posting it this way. Will consider that next time; already spoke to Nick about it.

Sent via Tapatalk

No apologies necessary my Friend. it's good to show the bad & the good.

we all can learn from this. morale of this story don't make this mistake. we all learn from it. even the the type of broad head & the shot placement can make a difference. I am not an expert. but I know someone who has had very bad luck he shot a buck he lost it. shot a doe he lost it, shot another doe he lost it. third time I was very pissed off. this is someone I know that hunts my area, but is not a Friend of mine.
moral to that story is make sure you have kill shot. use proof tested broadheads. do not do not chase the animal too soon. wait for 2 or more hours so it will lie down and die. or if you chase it too soon, it will push it and then it will run into the thickets and then it will be hard to find.

mistakes happen let's do the best we can. the above is strictly constructive and it's not meant to be derogatory.
When an wounded animal is lost, it's a real bummer.

No pass threw?only 20lb or what?someone forgot to teach that person about broadheads 101 :(

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu