Did I get ripped off?

pnut

Dec 4, 2013
Hi, Just wanted to get some opinion on whether I was ripped off on my recent guided hunt or not. Or if my expectations were just too high and had set myself up for disappointment. I don't want to trash anyone's name but just wanted to get a general consensus on my recent experience since I am a new hunter and this was my very first guided hunt.

I paid for a 7 day fully guided hunt looking for deer and bear. Everyday we either hiked around or drove around. I never had an opportunity for a shot, only saw some does. Did not appear that the guide had pre-scouted the area, it just feel like I went on a really expensive camping trip. I thought I was paying for a guide to pre scout an area so that they can put me on the targeted game species in a timely manner to give me a chance to harvest the animal. I understand if I had taken a shot and missed hitting my target, but not even seeing a legal targeted quarry was very disappointing. I had to save for a whole year (ate a lot of oatmeal for lunch) and took 2 weeks off work just to do this.

I guess I should have hired Giant Sequoia Guide Service, seems like he delivers for all his clients.

So, what do you guys think?

A lot of variables in this. Public land or private? Are you in shape to hunt the area? How much did you pay?

Need to know what you paid and what you were promised, a good guide on a public land hunt will have a harvest fee along with a basic boarding fee. Public and private hunts are light years apart, but you are correct you should have called Neil.....

Too difficult to give you an opinion based on the info you gave.

How much?
What was the guide service? I'd do a ton of research before I'd give anyone my hard earned $.
Where exactly? I could look at harvest reports on location alone and give you some stats.
What's is the guides history? Experience? Did he make promises?
It didn't appear he prescouted the area? Did he or not?
Sometimes the animals just aren't cooperating or maybe you found a less than stellar hunting guide.

Have been on a guided snow goose/pheasant hunt and an alaskan fishing trip. Both were over the top and forever spoiled me but a lot of research went into each trip.

That's a bummer either way. I've never hunt with Neil but clearly he is proven!

Like others have said it is important to make sure you have checked with past hunters that have used this person.
Get to know what you should expect for this hunt. What are the odd? I would be really bummed probably frustrated to not see a thing, even more so if I paid a guide extra to help.

I don't know what your hunting experience is but if you are new this is the exact reason why to belong to this kind of forum. There is so much knowledge and so many leads on this place to help keep these experiences to a minimum. Doesn't mean hunting trips don't come up with a big ZERO. It is hunting but this will give your learning curve a real curve in the right direction. I recommended getting more involved and asking many questions and not allowing this past experience to keep you from calling another guide again. Many good guide with outstanding experience. Neil being just one many that can lead you in the right direction.

1st thing I would look at is success rate. In my opinion the best thing is to go out of state with an OTC tag or even a 1-2 point draw tag and hunt that. After a few seasons of that you will have good knowledge of your area and even talk to locals (they are more friendly then californians) and you won't have to pay for a guide.. Thing about hunting alone or with a buddy of the same skill is you're learning from experiences, and evolving into a better hunter. But if you don't want to spend the time scouting and hunting, then stick with guided hunts. I've been on one guided hunt, and it was no where near as enjoyable as when I go with my friends or family..
If I were you I'd call the guide service and let them know your thoughts.. Cause if I'm gonna pay to kill something I at least want to kill something lol

It doesn't sound right.

I would call the outfitter and express your concerns. Most want to make sure your happy.

Maybe it was pch! Did he offer you some jerky

Sorry about your hunt.
Where did you hunt? Most guide services sit you down and go over the expectations of both parties? Was it an all inclusive hunt? Did you pay for a guaranteed hunt? You must have done some research about the guide service before you plunked down the money?

Sounds like you knew about the guy that has a guide service that visits this site? Seems weird why you didn't look into them before you paid or did you????

Funky first post, unless you've been lurking for a while.

Did you get ripped off????? I have no idea.
What were you paying for? We know the game wasn't in abundance. How many people in the group, did they see any game? How was the food and the lodging? Were they friendly, easy to get along with? Was it public land or private land?

I would encourage you to throw the name of the guide service out. I would think that if you weren't happy with the service they provided other people wouldn't be happy either.

Sorry you had a bummer hunt. If your expectations were based upon what you were told by your guide and you got none of what you were told then I would say you got porked good. But if you never discussed what you would get for your money, and you didn't ask for references then id say you got porked and its your fault. I think its standard procedure to get half back if you don't get an opportunity. The whole reason to hire a guide is so he will prescout or he already has the animals located. Did he lie, or did you not ask enough questions? and is he licensed? If you feel he screwed you then I would appreciate knowing who he is so no one else gets screwed. Before you post him up You should tell him you want a 50% refund or free hunt or your gonna post his bad business practice.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu