Do I Need A 4x4

Baldkrash

Aug 4, 2013
I'm shopping for a truck right now and I'm not sure if I need a four wheel drive to hunt in so cal.

We don't get much rain or snow and it seems that a lot of the Tundras I'm looking at have a high profile and good traction tires.

Any thoughts?

Four wheel drive is always nice to have but you certainly don't need it.

4x4 always comes in handy for me on hunts or scouting new places. Not like you'll need it every time, but I've definitely needed it occasionally to get unstuck after a rain or to get up/down a steep rocky rut. Saves your brakes.

IMHO...

If you can afford it, GET IT!!!!!! Do you need it, no. The day you do need it and think back to "I don't need it", you're going to kick yourself. You gotta think that when we do get hit with rains, the few trails/dirt roads get some good size washouts due to flash flooding and 2X sometimes won't let you get through it (Plus getting stuck in the mud w/ 2x sucks). Has happened to me 4 times in 4 years... so the question is, can you live with the fact of potentially limiting your hunting locations in the event of something like this? Other than that, the roads through most of the NF's are pretty mellow. Buddy of mine has the exact same truck as mine but with 4X and he can climb MUCH steeper terrain, I even have AT's and he had stock tires.

I owned a 2007 Tundra that was 2WD. That truck went more places than a lot of 4WD trucks would ever go.

my biggest issue was actually climbing hills in the summer when it was dry. I would slip a lot and it got a bit tricky at times.

I now have a 2013 4WD Tundra.

Ive taken it places that are impossible for most trucks

my 84 cj7 has taken me place I would of never seen on a 2wd, with that said I would say yes 4x4 comes very handy when fishing or hunting. for me its also knowing that if I want to go 4xing I can.

I would say yes. more opportunities. I had a jeepster, Mini Truck Toyota 4x4, & now ford ranger 4x4.
all have save my ass many of times. especially in the black ice, snow & rain. many of the trails I use to use where nearly impossible for two wheel.

I don't have a 4 x 4 and only did $7000 worth of damage to my Toyota last season

I only hunt from paved or gravel roads so no need here.

1 word ..... DRIVER

If u have throttle control and know your vehicle you will do fine, me and Sdbirds have taken my pos stalk single cab short bed gmc canyon 2x4 on 23" commuter tires all threw the beat down roads.

I'm not saying I'm gonna cross a river or get up some crazy hill that is rutted and and looks like a ski slope but with mud instead of snow but for as much rain as we get I never got stuck, may have had to reverse a little and rethink my approach, hahaha , Ive plowed my skid plate a million times.

I'd like a 4x4 hunting rig but right now that's not possible

I picked up an 88 Dodge 4x4 short bed this year and the 4x4 is nice to have and I have used it a few times on those steep hills that have rocks or 4 inches of dust. My hunting buddy has a tacoma 4x2 that we used last year and it did just fine. But if you can afford it I would get it so if you need it you can get to that spot that will leave the guys with the 4x2s behind.

Attachments

• photo[1].JPG
    photo[1].JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 192
If you can afford the difference, by all means do it......I hunt a lot and it's just the confidence you'll have going into places that are borderline......The desert is one of those places......Soft sand or mud out there is tough with a 4x4. Almost impossible with a 2x4......I'll never be without one........2 cents.

Here are my two.....4x4 Ford Econ and a Ford Ranger 4x4......Just got a new/older Ford Ranger 4x4 as well.....I'm just had good success with Rangers......I can tell you though......Toy 4x's are pretty bullet proof.

Attachments

• canada 2010 022.JPG
    canada 2010 022.JPG
    911 KB · Views: 22
  • Bucks & Wister 10-31-12 093.JPG
    Bucks & Wister 10-31-12 093.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 210
For me 4x4 is absolutely crucial and I use it all the time. I can't see personally ever owning a truck or SUV and using it as a hunting vehicle without 4x4. It has allowed me to get into so many places that I would never have been able to get into with 2x4. I know you can still get a 4x4 stuck but I do a lot of hunting alone and just feel safer with 4x4.

Sometimes 4wd just gets you stuck further up the trail. That said, wish mine was, but has not failed me yet.

I think your crazy if you don't have 4x4 for hunting.......I have pulled many 2x4 trucks out of trouble from being high centered to stuck in a rut. Hit some BLM land and you'll see some shitty roads

hahahahaha how about one of these baby's
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Willys-Jeep-M38A1-Fire-Jeep-Red-CA-Registration-Runs-great-/281379065887?forcerrptr=true&hash=item41837fd01f&item=281379065887&pt=Military_Vehicles

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu