Does anybody know....

Gmghunt101

Nov 12, 2014
So deer season is right around the corner, and me and my dad have been doing some scouting and other preparations for the season. Today we went to the range to double check our shooting. We have to share a rifle again so the plan was my dad would make sure it is sighted in at 200 yards like it was suppose to be and i could get a little more acquainted with the firearm. My dad was not shooting very good groupings but when he felt confident about the shot they were within an inch and a half from the bullseye. 8) We assumed it was on but when i began to shoot, i had a very close, consistent grouping in the same spot on two different papers. The only problem was my better, consistent groupings were left of the bullseye just outside of the black. (standard targets you buy of the range) ??? We didn't have enough time or ammunition to continue shooting. So i guess we have to go back. :-[ Can anybody explain this? Is there a difference in body builds or structures that could affect how we shoot? Do i just naturally shoot left? Any knowledge would be appreciated.

How was your rest?.....Were you in a vice?.....Human error at that distance doesn't have to be much.....I'm not a rifle expert like many on here, but that sounds good to me.

We had rests set up on a bench....shots felt pretty good.....my dad was all over the place and says he was moving but twice he said his shot felt good and both times they were close to the bullseye

Gmghunt101 said:
We had rests set up on a bench....shots felt pretty good.....my dad was all over the place and says he was moving but twice he said his shot felt good and both times they were close to the bullseye

Buy sticks for your dad and I'd say you're good to go..............2 cents

But do we adjust the scope so that my groupings are more centered even though my dad could hit close to center when he felt steady?

Common sense tells me, if the gun is in the same rest and doesn't move. Then it's human error.....I wouldn't touch anything....I would put it in the memory bank, you shoot slightly left.

Where are the rifle guru's?........ ???

it could have to do also with how well the scope stays centered if you are both looking at it slightly different. Pick the best shooter/more consistant shooter and set the rifle and scope up for them. the other will have to learn to compensate. once the gun is all centered up get it ou tof the vise and off the table and in your hands. learn to shoot standing and leaning on a tree and laying down. learn to get comfortable sitting on the ground and from sticks. leaning on rocks and downed trees.

1.5" is something I would not spend time worrying about. Just put the crosshairs behind the should and pull the trigger. You are overthinking this. You or your dad man not be centering your eye in the ocular of the scope. Again, don't worry about 1.5"

Sounds like parallax to me. Most scopes have a parallax adjustment. Make sure it's set to the range you are shooting, and it should be minimal. To get you both grouping dead center, try shouldering the rifle repeatedly with your eyes closed. When you open them, you should get the identical sight picture every time. 2 cents.

Gmghunt101 said:
So deer season is right around the corner, and me and my dad have been doing some scouting and other preparations for the season. Today we went to the range to double check our shooting. We have to share a rifle again so the plan was my dad would make sure it is sighted in at 200 yards like it was suppose to be and i could get a little more acquainted with the firearm. My dad was not shooting very good groupings but when he felt confident about the shot they were within an inch and a half from the bullseye. 8) We assumed it was on but when i began to shoot, i had a very close, consistent grouping in the same spot on two different papers. The only problem was my better, consistent groupings were left of the bullseye just outside of the black. (standard targets you buy of the range) ??? We didn't have enough time or ammunition to continue shooting. So i guess we have to go back. :-[ Can anybody explain this? Is there a difference in body builds or structures that could affect how we shoot? Do i just naturally shoot left? Any knowledge would be appreciated.

a rifle or a compound bow are hard to share. the rifle is generally set for the owner.all these affect the shot. how the person holds the rifle, which eye is dominant, left had or right hand, the distance set of the scope optics to the shooters eye. length of the stock to the size of the person. and much more.
I would say ether your dad is pulling right or you are pulling left. but I agree with NBK. deal with it for now.

Ghost

Ghost is right (I know nothing of bows but a lot about rifles) when setting up a precision rifle or hunting rifle with a multi powered scope there are too many variables to share the weapon and expect the same results for each shooter. For big game hunting 1.5 MOA in the general kill zone area for both shooters is more than adequate.

Stump

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu