Dog training

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
Im getting my first dog a yellow lab any specific train suggestions? Im going to hunt upland birds and hopefully waterfowl also can they do any tracking like finding a lost deer?

Many breeds to choose from that can do more than a retriever, I would recommend that you also become acquainted with Navhda (North american versatile hunting dog association) the mission of the organization is to promote and support multipurpose upland hunting dogs. San Diego has a chapter and the members are great folks.

D16, We train both retreivers and pointers, we've got a few different pointing dogs up here right now, If you would like to come up I'd be glad to show you both and what a good pointing dog can do.

D16 I would take Snake Charmer up on that offer. He has an amazing facility and can point you in the right direction regardless of what dog you choose. I made a visit to highonkennels.com 8 years ago and many a life were changed thereafter!

I would definately kennel train made a huge difference with my dog. He was very stubborn but helped a lot and try not to get frustrated.

Blasphemy........don't let the nambla dog people change your mind.

Get the fowl dogs 1 DVD and follow it step by step. Yes the pros can do it faster and get the most of your pup but the reward of teaching your dog is worth it.

You might want to get a black lab however as we all know yellows can't hunt

I'll match you a Brittany Spaniel and raise you a Small Munsterlander...

Attachments

• Dieter Can 3.JPG
    Dieter Can 3.JPG
    819.4 KB · Views: 47
Snake Charmer said:
Britiany's and spaniels are great hunting companions, pointing dogs can do more.

My dads been training dogs for almost 40 years and said he has had better luck with the Brittany... He actually got me one almost a year ago now, he is still a pup, but he is doing great so far. I will post pics of him in the field soon :)

I just got an 8 week old yellow lab how and when should i train her to hunt upland birds and retrieve the ocasional duck or goose

Thanks for the advice snake charmer im already giving her basic comands and shes listens well i have little knowledge on how to train ahunting dog though any advice would be aprecited

Go buy the fowl dogs 1 DVD watch and follow don't skip steps.

Dude have your dad call or message me ill show you what's up. I'm not the best trainer and don't have the best dog but he Listens and finds lost birds. He dose exactly what I need and a dam good job. We can hook up and get your pup turned into hunter

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu