Double Bearded Beauty +1

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Jacob took the day off and as it worked out, it was a great decision.....I've been in this spot 6 times this year. And with the exception of Stefanie's longbeard on opening week-end, we've been skunked (jakes are a no no).

Today started like most the others, leave at 4:45 and be in the woods before flydown.....When we got to our hunting spot, the birds were gobbling like crazy to every sound.....I was just here 3 days ago and heard one distant gobble.....I've hunted this place for 10 years and should have known when they're treed halfway down the property, they always flydown in the big lower meadows.....For whatever reason, I decided to hunt the oak woods with decoys (something I almost never do).....Sure enough, they fly down into the big meadow. They gather up the hens (7) and 1 gobbler pushes off 5 west and the other 2 longbeards follow 2 jenny's south. The 5 jakes follow them too.....Within 30 minutes, the woods go completely silent.....At this, I told Jacob to be ready for a long day, but I also told him that the fact the 2 longs only had 2 jennys, they may come back to my early morning calling.....At least an hour and a half goes by when Jacob says, don't move.....A single hen is working her way up to us.....She sees the decoys, pays little attention, but doesn't leave either. In fact, she is curious about the 2 leafy things sitting in turkey loungers....lol....She gets within 15', but then goes to our left and jumps up into some dead falls.....Putts a couple of times, a couple of soft yelps, and she moves up hill....We fall asleep....Then like out of nowhere, 2 thunderous gobbles right below us....We literally almost jump out of our seats (the heart must still be good.....lol)....We look down and there are the 2 big toms and they've spotted the DSD jake & hens.....As toms almost always do, they went right after the jake.....The only problem was and despite the fact the jake is only 30 yds away, they were only inches apart....No shot....After 5 minutes, they move away from the jake and behind a huge oak tree.....I can shoot, but Jacob can't.....In fact, I wasn't even carrying a gun.....They are behind the oak strutting & drumming for another 5 minutes, when I decide to call.....They both gobble, but don't move.....More time goes by and I call again.....Both gobble, but again they don't move from behind the tree.....It appears they are now getting bored, when I soft clucked again....This time the front tom comes out from behind the big oak and Jacob is ready.....Boom!.....And down goes the double bearded beauty.....In the excitement, the other gobbler decided to come over and beat up his buddy.....Bad decision, I tell Jacob to give me his shotgun.....And down goes number 2.....Doesn't get much more exciting than this.....What a hunt!

.004.JPG 010.JPG 021.JPG 024.JPG

Awesome work! Great story at least I can live through you, since it's been skunk city for me! But we had a group of 4 Jake's and two toms come into 80 yards and hang up. Must be my crappy calling!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work! Great story at least I can live through you, since it's been skunk city for me! But we had a group of 4 Jake's and two toms come into 80 yards and hang up. Must be my crappy calling!

Matt,

Take it from someone who is not a great caller...Many times, less is better...;)

Reactions: Matagi
Thanks Steve. Great advice as always. We did have a few toms answering back last Sunday. But none came to check us out.

Very nice! At this rate there may not be any birds left in the county by the time I get out there haha.

Awesome birds! Congrats! I swear, I've had a few single hunts turn into doubles due to the other Tom jumping on his flopping buddy. Maybe the trick for call shy toms is to have a flopper decoy and when they hang up, you fire a shot in the air and make the decoy flop around LOL.

Reactions: TRICER and msailor
Nice birds. Great story looks like you had fun. congrats

Big congrats Steve! I hope one day Yusuke and I can pull a double on a pair of long beards. If these jakes make it through, next year will be awesome.

Like Steve said, sometimes less is more. Thursday my son and I worked a gobbler with soft yelps but soon as the jakes showed up and started gobbling, the lone tom shut up and never showed up. It's an interesting season to say the least.

Reactions: TRICER and Bugsy71
Jacob took the day off and as it worked out, it was a great decision.....I've been in this spot 6 times this year. And with the exception of Stefanie's longbeard on opening week-end, we've been skunked (jakes are a no no).

Today started like most the others, leave at 4:45 and be in the woods before flydown.....When we got to our hunting spot, the birds were gobbling like crazy to every sound.....I was just here 3 days ago and heard one distant gobble.....I've hunted this place for 10 years and should have known when they're treed halfway down the property, they always flydown in the big lower meadows.....For whatever reason, I decided to hunt the oak woods with decoys (something I almost never do).....Sure enough, they fly down into the big meadow. They gather up the hens (7) and 1 gobbler pushes off 5 west and the other 2 longbeards follow 2 jenny's south. The 5 jakes follow them too.....Within 30 minutes, the woods go completely silent.....At this, I told Jacob to be ready for a long day, but I also told him that the fact the 2 longs only had 2 jennys, they may come back to my early morning calling.....At least an hour and a half goes by when Jacob says, don't move.....A single hen is working her way up to us.....She sees the decoys, pays little attention, but doesn't leave either. In fact, she is curious about the 2 leafy things sitting in turkey loungers....lol....She gets within 15', but then goes to our left and jumps up into some dead falls.....Putts a couple of times, a couple of soft yelps, and she moves up hill....We fall asleep....Then like out of nowhere, 2 thunderous gobbles right below us....We literally almost jump out of our seats (the heart must still be good.....lol)....We look down and there are the 2 big toms and they've spotted the DSD jake & hens.....As toms almost always do, they went right after the jake.....The only problem was and despite the fact the jake is only 30 yds away, they were only inches apart....No shot....After 5 minutes, they move away from the jake and behind a huge oak tree.....I can shoot, but Jacob can't.....In fact, I wasn't even carrying a gun.....They are behind the oak strutting & drumming for another 5 minutes, when I decide to call.....They both gobble, but don't move.....More time goes by and I call again.....Both gobble, but again they don't move from behind the tree.....It appears they are now getting bored, when I soft clucked again....This time the front tom comes out from behind the big oak and Jacob is ready.....Boom!.....And down goes the double bearded beauty.....In the excitement, the other gobbler decided to come over and beat up his buddy.....Bad decision, I tell Jacob to give me his shotgun.....And down goes number 2.....Doesn't get much more exciting than this.....What a hunt!

.View attachment 29895 View attachment 29896 View attachment 29897 View attachment 29898
Wow what a great hunt and great read. Congrats!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu